We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

acer laptop starup repair

pjcurtis78

Likes # 0

i have an ancer laptop that just goes into start up reapir every time its booted up and never gets past it, have left it for few hours and still no luck, any help would be good!! thanks

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried starting in safe mode. keep tapping F8 as the laptop starts.If it lets you in try last good configuration or system restore.

Like this post
pjcurtis78

Likes # 0

Thank you for the advise, have tried that and both attempts go back to start-up repair.

Like this post
pjcurtis78

Likes # 0

its running windows 7 by the way but dont have a disc to restart from new either!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Download and burn a win 7? iso disk if you do not have a DVD.

Boot from the DVD and run the startup repair from there.

If it will not repair the startup you can reinstall win7 but you will need the code from the sticker on the laptop to activate it.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Normally an Acer laptop will have a restore to factory settings button on it but if you use that you would loose everything that you have downloaded on to it.

If you know how to get into the Bios check that the hard drive is first choice at start up.

If using Fruit Bat /\0/\'s way you will have to change it to boot With CD or DVD as first boot.

How old is the laptop and what model number.Remove anything that you have got plugged into the USB socket and see if that makes any difference.

Were you having any problems with it running before the start up repair message.

I would use Fruit Bat /\0/\'s way as that should save anything that you have previously downloaded.

Like this post
pjcurtis78

Likes # 0

Thanks for that will give that a try and see what happens

Like this post
pjcurtis78

Likes # 0

not too bothered about whats on the laptop as just be good to get it working, its an acer extensa 5235, nothing plugged into laptop and no there was no problem, someone used the laptop and has done it ever since! thank you for all the help its been good just to try and sort it out

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Does it say W/7 on the coa sticker underneath the computer if you do a restore to factory settings it will revert to whatever is on that sticker.

I Believe you have to hold down the Alt key at start up while tapping f10 to get into factory restore.

If it is the hard drive on the way out back to factory setting would not work.

I know that you can buy a caddy for it from Amazon for about £4 and then plug it into a usb port on your computer.

I am not sure if you can run chkdsk on it from there but you can run your security programs on it to make sure it is not just a virus etc that is stopping it from running.

Maybe someone can give you some information on doing that as I know very little about it.If I remember right you can do a chkdsk on it.Not sure what else you can do on it though.

Like this post
pjcurtis78

Likes # 0

tried a recovery and have now lost operating system so any ideas how to re-install windows without the disc

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Did this not work for you?

when you first switch on and power up get the restore option by holding down the Alt button and pressing F10 button at the same time

When the eRecovery menu appears, choose "restore system to factory defaults".

Wait for the recovery process to complete and the computer to restart.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear S (Solo) curved-screen smartwatch confirmed: release date, price and specs UK

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review and the mystery of the processor benchmarks