We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No Logon Server Available - Removing PC from Domain

sparrowhawk27

Likes # 0

I've recently relocated my office, downsizing and reducing the number of users. Previously we had a Server running Windows Server 2003. The first computer I've moved, I forgot/didn't consider (I'm an IT novice at best) that I would need to remove it from the domain before moving it.

The Server is no longer active or online and subsequently when I attempt to remove this computer, using the admin account, I just get an error that there are n Logon Servers available. Frustratingly, just about any chage requires User Account Control.

Any ideas? Or am I going to have to get the Server and connect it directly to this machine?

As I said, IT novice so appreciate any suggestions.

Like this post
recap

Likes # 0

I would suggest reconnecting it to the server as all your data should be stored on the server.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Press Ctrl Alt Del to log on as you normally would, click Switch User, select "Other User" then instead of typing just a username in the upper box, type .\Administrator to log on to the machine itself using the administrator account - password may or may not be required depending on how you set up the machine, and whether you enabled local logon for the machine's Administrator account in the first place. If you didn't but had another account in use before it was joined to the domain you could try that name instead, but you won't be able to remove it from the domain if the account you log in with is not an admin account.

Once you're in you can remove the machine from the domain in Control Panel/System, where it mentions domain and machine name click Change Settings and follow the prompts, or just remove the domain name from the dialogue box and type a new workgroup name if needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......