We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost Data

surfer47
Resolved

Likes # 0

Lost photos I had a problem that resulted is in all my photos being lost An attempt made by a technician I know to recover the data from my HDD on my PC. This was done and all the data was recovered to a separate HDD 1 TB. This took some time. I now have an HDD with all the recovered data on it. The trouble is I don’t recognise the format and can’t find the pictures. The technician said there were about a 1000. Should I be able to identify my pictures and transfer them to my PC? Or are they gone forever?. Regards

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you know what program the technician used to recover the data?

What is the format that you don't recognise?

When you explore the separate HDD 1 TB what do you see displayed? Is it a long list of files or folders? How much of the drive has been used (rightclick and choose Properties) this will confirm or not if there is any data on it.

It is possible that the recovered pictures no longer have their original names and are just numbered. What is the file ext for the files? (.jpg or something else?)

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 0

Thanks for coming back. see attachment for info.

I don’t know what program was used to effect the recovery. When I explore the Remote HDD I see a column of 6 digit digits,e.g(00A1A2), 120 altogether, and the size is 1TB of which 76GB is used. The PC has a HDD of 450GB with 99GB in use. The file extensions are JPEG. I have found some photos but not as many as I had. Does any of this make sense? Regards

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Are they (column of 6 digit digits,e.g(00A1A2), 120 altogether) Folders?

So is '00A1A2' a folder that you can open and then it contains files with the ext .JPEG ?

What programs for pictures have you got installed and which do you usually use to view or manage your pictures?

What O/S have you on your pc? (XP or W7)

(It may be you already have the tools/programs you need without having to download any other)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

ps: Not sure what you meant by "see attachment for info" you can't include attachments or files on this forum. Only thing you can do is post links to other websites.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you want a good little program campicrestore (Camera Picture Restore) will find all your pictures on any drive you specify http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/371204/question-re--campicrestor/

http://www.rcc-ltd.co.uk/CampicRestor.zip

also Recuva is good http://www.recuva.com/

Don't forget to change/make a folder for the pictures to be saved into.

Like this post
surfer47

Likes # 0

The column (only one) are named as explained above. When opened they hold a variety of files such as 53EAO1, quite a few contain DLLs. Some containd photos but only 1 – 4. And if I try to open them I get “Fail to open document” My main editing program is serif Photoplus x5. “See attachment” I had tried to use “Print Screen” to show what the External HDD looked like but it was no good and I forgot to erase the note. My OS is Windows Vista. I have got some photos back but there should be a lot more. I hope this is of some use. Regards

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I suggest using (my post Yesterday at 6:12PM) the two free programs, not at same time... try one and see what pics it can find, then run the other one.

You could have a word with the technician and see what he suggests.

Like this post
Jim71

Likes # 1

sounds like some parts of some files may be missing. you may want to try different apps and see if they can open the file. sometimes one app may work with a broken file sometimes it cant

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback