We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing XP Drivers

Legslip

Likes # 0

I Have just finished reformatting a PC with windows XP. When I go into device manager there are a number of items that show that the drivers are not installed. They are....

Audio device on high definition Bus Ethernet controller x 2 S M Bus controller Universal serial bus controller x 2

Any Ideas where I can find these drivers?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Use something like SIW to find what equipment is fitted (manufacturer) then download the drivers from the manufacturer's web site

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've been trying to post, but failing so apologies if I get multiple posts!

If FB's suggestion doesn't work, download and run the free Slimdrivers. It will come up with numerous missing/ out of date drivers. Only download those you are actually missing (they will usually be from the manufacture's site. E.G. I've just reinstalled XP and VGA and sound were missing. Slimdrivers pointed me to Nvidia and realtek).

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

After you reinstalled XP did you install the Motherboard Drivers?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Lotvic's is the way forward. If you can identify your motherboard - something like Belarc Advisor can help - then you just need to find, download and install the drivers for your motherboard from the manufacturer's web site.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks all for your input. It is an Acer PC / motherboard and have just found out from Acer that no drivers are available for windows XP. Looks like I have been wasting my time

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Hmmm - don't give up. The motherboard might have been built for Acer (almost certainly was) by a motherboard manufacturer. Their generic drivers may well work. I'm sure I'm stating the bleeding obvious - but have you Googled 'Acer your PC model] XP drivers'? There's a lot of stuff out there that may well work, even if it's not hosted by Acer. And failing that, given that you've got nothing to lose, you could try using drivers for Acer machines other than yours, on the basis that there is typically a lot of commonality between hardware platforms. Like from [here, for example.

I've been on so many missions in my life to track down missing drivers... :-(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agree chipset drivers will work quite often vista drivers will work in XP aswell

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Let me try that one again...

Hmmm - don't give up. The motherboard might have been built for Acer (almost certainly was) by a motherboard manufacturer. Their generic drivers may well work. I'm sure I'm stating the bleeding obvious - but have you Googled 'Acer your PC model] XP drivers'? There's a lot of stuff out there that may well work, even if it's not hosted by Acer. And failing that, given that you've got nothing to lose, you could try using drivers for Acer machines other than yours, on the basis that there is typically a lot of commonality between hardware platforms. Like from here, for example.

I've been on so many missions in my life to track down missing drivers... :-(

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Okeydokey and thanks. Will give the Vista drivers a whirl.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Widespread 2011 MacBook Pro failures continue: Petition for fix surpasses 10,000 signatures