We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

format a laptop with an extern monitor

timhenning

Likes # 0

Hello,

i have a laptop but i need to format it asap. is it possible to do that with an extern monitor? cause the monitor of the laptop is broken for 3/4... i dont have a cd/dvd reader so another question, can i link the laptop to another pc or something to format that way? or is it possible to format with an extern hard disk? I hope someone can help me with this. really need to format the laptop or something to get all the crap out of the system to let it work like it has to. sorry about my english, i'm dutch :-). greets and thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What operating system?

Do you have a Op system to install from a CD/DVD?

do you wish to install it from USB stick or USB dvd drive?

Like this post
timhenning

Likes # 0

its xp home system is medion model e1210 processor: intel(R) Atom(TM) cpu n270 @ 1.60GHz (2CPUs) 1014MB RAM

vga mobile intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family chiptype: Intel(R) GMA950 64.0 MB

driver igxprd32.dll version: 6.14.0010.4906

i want to install from an extern hard disk or try to link to another computer if possible. I have an extern cd/dvd but it wouldn't work if it has to work :-)

greets and thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Probably the best thing you can do is to restore it to factory condition.

You will not need to connect a CD//dvd drive and of course all the drivers with automactically be installed

Performing the State of Delivery

1. Power up the Netbook and immediately press the key F3 to display the recovery menu.

2. Follow the instructions on the screen. The Netbook will restart and will return to the state at delivery

Like this post
timhenning

Likes # 0

that sounds really nice... but there where a lot of files from the laptop on the second partition of the hard disk, do i have to place them back there? i have them on cd... and it will work without a win xp? and are you sure that the recover is full automatic? thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Did you remove all the recovery files off the laptop?

The recovery images files should have been left alone they something like

swconf.dat, pass.rpt and a recover folder containing, Factory.pqi factory.002 etc.

if you can put them back it should work ok

Like this post
timhenning

Likes # 0

they where on the second partition of the hard disk, i didnt remove anything before i burned it on a cd... so i think its ok. I gonna try it now and i hope i can come back later and say to you it worked... thanks a lot for the advice...

Like this post
timhenning

Likes # 0

hi, i did much things to try to fix it but nothing worked. if i press the F3 i dont go to the recovery screen. if i try to format with an usb. first i installed multiboot10 on the stick and xp. i allways have a message that it didn't work cause of a hard disk configuration or something... i only can see a half of the message cause the monitor of the notebook is broken. i hope you can tell me what it is with the message i get when i try to format. or something else i can do. greets

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. check your laptop will boot from USB

2. have a look at this guide making a USB stick bootable and copying the XP files to it and then Installing XP onto your laptop from the USB stick. This will format the drive during the process of reinstalling XP.

Like this post
timhenning

Likes # 0

isnt it the same like "multiboot10" ? i try it this evening. i let u know how it goes. thanks

Like this post
timhenning

Likes # 0

ok

the usb is ready to format. i finally had the blue screen where i normally can choose the partitions and install xp. i know how to format, but there is one big problem... my hard disk dont show up there. i have a C:/ and a D:/ the only thing that shows up is my usb (1907mb)...

I tried an option and got 3choises there:

DELL PERC 2/3 RAID controller DELL PERC 2/3 RAID controller (Gatling) other (disk provided by hardware manufacturer required)

never saw that before... it's just strange that my hard disks dont show up in the blue screen...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes