We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do I need to Backup

ripply
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, I've been reading a lot about how important it is to back up my laptop but I'm a bit unsure if it is really necessary. I understand people who have lots of photo's/important documents etc would do this. I have an old second hand laptop and I can't think of anything I would want to retrieve from it if it crashed/was stolen etc. I only use it for emails, general browsing and grocery shopping online and I do not store photos or anything on it. Is it still important for me to do back-up's? Is there some kind of security issue if I don't? Sorry if this sounds daft but I'm useless with computer stuff.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

Is it still important for me to do back-up's?

You've answerd your own question really, when you said "I can't think of anything I would want to retrieve from it if it crashed/was stolen etc."

If you're sure about that, particularly with regard to emails (and email addresses) then no, there's no need for a backup. Windows will make automatic backups of your computer's registry settings at regular intervals, so you could restore one of those if you hit problems. It won't backup emails or any other form of data files however, and if you install any new software it will disappear if you use a restore point that was prior to the installation date.

If you have the original Windows installation disk, and the installation disks for any software you've installed you would be able to get the computer up and running again if the worst happened. If you don't have the to think about making a disk image, so you could restore the computer to its present state.

Does that help?

Like this post
ripply

Likes # 0

Yes, Thank you. Though I'm still a bit confused about the e-mails. I have had my email address for over a decade and previously have always checked it on public computers and friends houses. I've just recently got my own computer. Without backups, would my email be affected/wiped or could I still check it by logging in on other computers?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 1

If you access your emails from your ISPs server, there they stay. It's only if you use something like Outlook Express where they're stored on your computer. If you've been able to access them from other computers, then you're fine, you will still be able to do that following a crash of your own laptop.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback