We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade purchase and assistance, CPU clean up help needed

bonany

Likes # 0

I'm looking at upgrading an old PC and reset it to factory settings leaving only windows on there. Can anybody help me do this? I have Windows Vista but I don't have the disks, is there a way to wipe the hard drive leaving only windows installed on it?

Also I'm looking to purchase upgrades for the processor and video card. But I don't know where to look to get stuff i know will fit onto the motherboard.

Current specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ Video card: GeForce 7900 GS

The mother board model is: AV8 (VIA K8T800P-8237)

If anybody could help a man that doesn't really know what he's doing that would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Like this post
bonany

Likes # 0

ok i can see nobody is really down with talking about this old mobo, can anyone just tell me what the best video card and processor might be i can get for the abit av8?

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

1.Download SIW click here & look for your Vista product key under Licence.

2.Download a Vista iso & burn to a DVD click here ,you'll just need the 32bit i.e. x86 file.Use it to reinstall Vista & reactivate with the product key.

3.The best 939 Socket CPU you can get for this board is x4800 click here

4.The 7900GS isn't bad but if you want the best then click here for Ati HD4670 AGP

It's up to you to decide if it's worth doing it. :)

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

bonany

Without the disks for Vista I think you're on a non-starter. If the machine came with Vista pre-installed you should have installation disc/s or there should be part of the HD partitioned enabling a return to factory settings. Normally you use a particular key sequence to access the latter.

The only way I am aware of to upgrade a CPU is to install a better one, you can't use software to do as you can with the mobo, graphic cards etc. Your mobo supports socket 939 which, as far as I'm aware, have been phased out.

If you know which make/version of video card you have you can usually get upgrades from the manufacturers website under support but in view of the foregoing might be a bit of a time waste.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more