We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can anyone advise on remote controls please.

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have an electric garage door opener and have lost one of the remotes which I want to replace.I have seen lots of devices for just a few pounds that I believe clone the existing one however I am confused by terms like "fixed code" "rolling code". Can anyone help please.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I found that 'fixed' usually gave a very limited range, were 'rolling' give a far bigger range for code settings.

You might find something here on 'rolling' code devices http://www.wisegeeks.com/what-is-a-rolling-code.htm

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds, that has explained the difference. I now need to know what kind I have. The manual is unclear in that it says any rolling code remote can be used, it does not say that a fixed code can't or what type I have. One of cloning devices I have looked at states that rolling code remotes will not work but it also lists mine as compatible, hence my confusion.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What I would suggest, if you have a Maplins store local, then make a visit there. I am sure the staff will only be too willing to assist. If you select a replacement, then check the internet for prices before making a purchase.

Maplins might also advice and possibly suggest a product on-line, if you cannot visit somewhere local.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Forgot to mention, Maplins have a 28 day returns policy if the item doesn't meet your needs, and the item is resalable.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again, I can find the exact one I need and I was thinking of getting two but as they are £32 each I am looking at other options being Mr Cheapskate.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Personally I would still try the Maplins option, because I would think that a 'universal' programmable unit would do the job at a far cheaper price.

If the existing unit is 433mhz (which quite a number are), then perhaps look on eBay for item 261106795982 at £3.79 delivered?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Yes it is 433.92MHz I had just bought one on Ebay before your posting and paid a staggering £4.19:-) Worth a try I thought.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

bumpkin - If you look up the reference number on eBay, you will find a short video on how to set the device up, assuming that the one you have purchased is on the same principle.

Like yourself, I am also a Cheapskate when it comes to looking for bargains, yet some people seem to frown on this practise, just not upmanship I suppose :O)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added