We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

first time printer purchase?

jessesimp

Likes # 0

hey guys I was just hoping for a little advice from some people that probably know a lot more than me about this stuff. I've never bought a printer and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, but I know I want a good all-in-one printer and I don't want to spend a million bucks, just like anybody right? I found this site http://www.squidoo.com/best-all-in-one-printers2 and I'm leaning towards the Epson Expression Home XP-400 Inkjet Printer, I've read a lot of reviews but I was hoping to get some instant feedback from you guys about Epson or that exact printer and let me know what you guys think before I make the purchase? Thanks a lot!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I've always used Epson Printers and found the OK. Depends what you want it for but even the cheaper ones are good, and all use separate inks. Also there are lots of good quality compatible inks available which helps keep down running costs.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Ive Also always Epson Printers and agree they are a good range. Its the cost of ink that does need to be looked at prior to purchase. Both original and compatible. also if available Local to you This applies to which make of printer you choose

I have found no problems obtaining ink for my SX200 ( Main Use ) However no compatibles are yet available for my expression XP750

A third option for Large use is a CISS which cuts cost drastically but does enlarge the footprint

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I assume that this request is coming from the US, and if so the market might be slightly different there?.

I have a range of printer's, and in the main Epson have a good market cover, but I find that when they become troublesome, then there is only one alternative, and that is usually a replacement printer.

Here in the UK, printer's tend to be rather cheap to purchase, but expensive in cartridge replacements, unless you have a good reliable source of compatibles. CISS or refillables is another method on cost saving, so before making a printer purchase, check this out first.

On the range of printer's that I have, Brother printer's have shown some very good results in print quality and cost savings.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Also has the same request on two other forums that I could find so must be in a hurry to buy it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've got an Epson all-in-one with auto-duplex which also takes high yield cartridges which so far I have found to be reasonably economical. It may well be worthwhile seeing if a printer takes high yield cartridges. They may cost a bit more but over time you could save that amount in the cost of ink.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

sharpamat,

I too have an Epson Photo Expression XP-750 and have found compatible cartridges available on Amazon and also from Choice Stationery. I have tried the £22.95 XL 6 pack from Amazon and they seem okay. I have a £14.59 (£10.00 + £4.59 p&p) set in reserve, also from Amazon and they appear exactly the same as the £22.95 ones.

Peter.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Peter Choice seems a third as much as Amazon was going to wait for CISS but may well give it a try now you have said they are OK

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen