We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Info on Apple Mac Operating System?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just obtained an old Apple Power Mac G4 with Mac OS X Version 10.3.9 installed. This was a machine that was part of a series of computer's being used in a design studio. The studio is replacing its whole system, so this computer is now redundant.

Recently this computer had an Apple Airport card installed for wifi. So not knowing much or anything about Apple O/S, is there anything to look out for any possible security risks, like you would for Microsoft?.

Any other information on this particular Apple Power Mac G4 Model M8570 desktop computer or system would be appreciated.

I have already done a little searching on the internet, and one site seems to offer a number of helpful articles, but it would seem for a slightly different model number?. http://www.everymac.com

Like this post
TonyV

Likes # 0

spuds

Go to apple.com/support/communities. there is a lot of help there similar to PCA. You could search and see what comes up there.

TonyV

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Looks quite old. Do you have to wait long for the valves to warm-up?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

TonyV

Thanks for the suggestion. Will go there later for a look.

Mr Mistoffelees

I would imagine that its about 10/12 years old. When I opened the case, it did have some rather 'heavy' items in there. The Crucial memory sticks and the Seagate hard-drive, plus the Airport card are fairly new additions.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have tried to find some information from the Apple community site, with little success so far on this particular computer model.

One thing that I found on opening the case, was the new Crucial ram that had been installed on three of the four slots. PC 2700 had been fitted, but it would appear that PC 2100 would have been acceptable, depending on what information sheet was used. I'll need to check later today on what number four memory chip reference number is, because it seems different shape size to the new Crucial's fitted, so I can only assume the number four might be an original Apple fixture?.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Spud , are the components inside like this ? click here

Virus attack on OSX 10.3.9 Panther was unheard of , so any anti virus software is superfluous.

These machines may be old but still powerful enough to handle most things nowadays particularly if you have the dual microprocessor model & can upgrade to OSX 10.4 Tiger or 10.5 Leopard. (I nearly had a chance to get my hands on one of these machines few years ago)

How to Differentiate Between Models click here

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

retep888 - The model and inners appear to be the very same as the links, which have made my task easier, and is very much appreciated. I'll have to go deeper into the articles, so as to learn more on this particular computer.

As I mentioned earlier, this particular computer came from a design studio, and was being used until recently, when the studio have undertaken a complete replacement issue on their equipment. These particular computer's appear to be still readily available today, even after 12 years or so since manufacture, so that must say an awful lot for them, even though they are very heavy and solid in construction. The casing in itself is a great design, and even more better for the one lever device for opening the case.

Time permitting today, I'll certainly use the articles you have provided.

Thanks again everyone for the help and information provided so far, all very much appreciated and welcomed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Back in circulation, so I'll check out further and tick as resolved for the time being.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...