We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Police Central e-crime Unit (PCEU) ransomware removal

gerryp25

Likes # 0

Hi, went on my netbook at the weekend don't usually use it and found this nasty beast of (virus, malware )?. Has anyone any idea how to get rid of it. I looked on Google and Youtube and some of the repairs were beyond my ability. I have run Avast and Malwarebytes anti malware which don't get rid of it. Any help please

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You could follow the instructions here.

click here

Or download and run Hitmanpro to see if that removes it.

Hitmanpro

You get a 30 day trial with it.

Like this post
Bob Exeter

Likes # 0

Same old problem.

System restore to an earlier date is the solution.

Turn off the internet connection.

Start the rig and press F8 new screen follow to set my computer to an earlier time or words to that effect. Use the NSEW [arrow keys] keys on the key board to attain this press enter and merely wait and then allocate the date prior to this incident.

When completed employ a full anti virus and malware programmes and you should be clear.

Bob Exeter.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've had no luck with System Restore with this virus - the only way I was able to shift it was with a bootable Kaspersky rescue disc. However, there do seem to be several variants of the bug, some of which can be removes with SR, so it's worth a try first.

Like this post
gerryp25

Likes # 0

Hi guys thanks for the interest, I have finished up by using recovery manager and sent it back to factory default settings, there was nothing on it of importance so I cut my losses and got rid of the malware this way. Lucky for me I don't usually use it but if it was my main computer I would be devastated. Thanks for replying

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This sort of incident does highlight the benefit of maintaining a backup if there are important files on a computer.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

The best way I have found to deal with this infection is to remove the drive from the infected machine, fit it into a suitable usb caddie ,then connect it to a clean machine with an updated copy of Malwarebytes installed , cancel any autorun, after the found new hardware installs drivers , use open or explore to list all the drives , identify the infected drive, use the right mouse click to select "Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware"

It will take quite a long time to do a full scan but you do not have to watch it ,when it is done choose the remove option ,once it is done re-fit the drive it will boot up as normal with no PCEU pop up screens

Cheers HC

Like this post
sevenfarn

Likes # 0

If people are reading now, I have suffered the new version of this malware. It is very damaging. It now blocks the safe mode completely. After scanning my hard disk in the slave mode, window can no longer start normally. It said the system is impaired. Instead of opening the locked screen, it has been bounced into the log in screen. However, I have never set a log in password for the home use vista. I don't know whether it is the operating system got damaged or the virus is still around? Any help please?

Like this post
Boyzer

Likes # 0

sevenfarn, Hitmanpro (mentioned above by Jock1e) is still good advice. You will need to create separate bootable drive, here is an instruction on how to create it: click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes