We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can I get a similar build for £600 max?

jw2702

Likes # 0

I'm trying to design and build a PC for a max of £600, mainly for rendering scenes fast in Blender, a free open source 3D modelling/animation software).

My budget however is ~£600 (which I know is pushing it), but I'm trying to get the best that I can afford. It seems difficult as I'm new to the building side of things, although I'm very aware of the hardware compatibility issues, the jargon, and the cooling needs.

I've used computerplanet to quote me a desired PC, but the price is a bit too high. If you go on the website and load up the quote number "189302" you will see my desired build.

I do not need: Operating system Moniter Mouse/Keyboard Card Readers

I'd like to play some low-key games too, like Amnesia:Dark Descent with high settings, but nothing like Crysis3 of battlefield3, as I'm a console gamer mainly.

So if you could give any advice on downgrading these parts or where to order from instead etc, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As you have not included the prices in your quote it is difficult to suggest a comparison. Though I can say the CPU/motherboard combination is pointless as the K version of your CPU indicates that it is unlocked and can be over-clocked except that you cannot over-clock with that model of motherboard.

I would imagine that you will not be over-clocking as it is your first build.

Also your power supply is way over the top, 500W or perhaps 600W at the most is plenty.

I have managed to bring your PC specs in to around £289 by only a few tweaks. Lesser PSU, larger HDD, dropped the Arctic cooler as the stock one will be fine for the time being and this is is something you can upgrade in the future as funds become available.

Ebuyer.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

You can probably cut £40.00 off the price by opting for the Cheapest Case available. Although, somehow, I doubt you will!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

With the listing provided by Chronos the 2nd, you could perhaps save a further £40.00 or more on the power supply unit. I have changed a number of psu's from lower wattage to higher wattage, using eBay supplier's of new stock. Never once have I had a problems with the various units I have used.

If you are going to home-build, then make sure of compatibility of components and warranty terms for the components. If you try Ebuyer, then drop their sales team an email, and see if they might suggest alternatives, including bundles.

You could also look at Novatech for bare-bone units.

Like this post
jw2702

Likes # 0

Here was my method of thinking:

I first decided my budget (£600 max), and intended uses (blender). Then, I used computerplanet.co.uk to design a machine, as I know it automatically checks compatibility with all parts. Once I did that I scaled down the price to about £660, which I then searched for these exacts parts on scan.co.uk where its cheaper, as I have help from an experienced friend to help me build.

I've altered the spec list slightly, allowing for a lower wattage of 600W. My question is are all power supplies generally compatible with my motherboard? And is a modular cabling system good advice if I can afford it?

Here is my updated spec list (as it now exists on SCAN. The price is fine for me, but can any be saved?): http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/9402ec534baa4b6f9384258b1246bb25

Thanks for all the help by the way, much appreciated.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You have selected laptop memory so that will need to be changed.

500Gb HDD is really quite small and you really should not be looking for anything less than 1TB.

Modular is better if you want to have decent cable management and can I suggest this PSU as a better alternative to your selection.

Like this post
jw2702

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos,

I've amended mistakes and changed parts due to recommendations, and I've come up with this. Does this look suitable? I'm 99% sure all the parts are compatible.

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/409664fba1004910ab94f53315750825

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Link does not work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'