We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel Blind Panic! Please help!!!!!

wishtobwireless

Likes # 0

I have attempted to import an Excel spreadsheet 2300 lines into Access. It didnt import and my excel spreadsheet is now blank apart from the titled columns! I cannot explain how important this spread sheet is and realise how stupid i have been to not keep a good back up! Please please can someone help me to get back the spreadsheet or is all lost? Thank you for your help

(in my panic I thought I had posted this about half an hour ago, but cannot find it in the feed, so apologies if it is posted twice)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

HAve you tried to reopen the spread sheet by ostarting another Excel?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 1

If you only imported the spreadsheet into Access, the source spreadsheet is still in its original place, is it not?

Like this post
wishtobwireless

Likes # 0

Afraid not Fruitbat and compumac. I have re opened to original spreadsheet and it seems to have Access headings and all data wiped! When I go into Access nothing has updated or imported. Could it be lost in transit somewhere! Clutching at straws!!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

can you open a version of spread sheet from the autosave copies. there should be one you can choose from before you did the import

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Have you looked in the temp folder? Shot in the dark. Windows Explorer, C drive, users, (your name), AppData, Local, then the Temp folder.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

I have done this several times and have never come across your snag. If you have the access headings then it would seem that it exported to the file instead of importing and has overwritten the Excel data. I'm sorry but without a backup copy I don't know how you can recover the data.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

The Windows "Previous Versions" feature may help get your data back. Here's where you'll find instructions for Windows 7 although it's also present in Windows 8 and Vista.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 1

How did you import the spreadsheet and what versions of Excel and Access are you using?

Like this post
wishtobwireless

Likes # 0

Compumac I am using Access and excel 2007 Secret Squirel I am using Vista Woolwell thanks as I am fearing! Lotvic how do I get to auto save Just trying temp files now!

Back in a mo...

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 1

"Secret Squirel I am using Vista"

OK - here's another link for you. However I've just noticed that Previous Versions is only available in the Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions of Vista so you may not have that feature.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote