We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Speakers - Would Any Off The Shelf Ones Work?

the-peoples-poet
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530. I would like a set of external speakers for it but I have been told by some people that because my computer is a Dell and because it is now quite a few years old, that any 'off the shelf' speakers won't work with it. Is that true? I don't want to have to spend a small fortune on a set, the budget won't stretch to a fancy set atm.

Any advice?

Thanks - Sarah.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Any speakers will work provided they are plugged into the correct socket. Surprised that as a desktop that it didn't come with speakers.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Like Woolwell says - computers have had an audio out socket for attaching speakers pretty much since the first PCs were made back in the early 1980s, so I don't know what 'some people' are thinking of. Yes, any speakers will work so long as they have the necessary audio plug (as any that are designed for PC use will). Then, your choice is whether to pay £1, £10 or £100... FWIW, sticking to brand names is generally a good idea (I'm a big fan of Creative), powered speakers will always give you more volume than unpowered (the difference is whether they come with their own power supply/wall plug) - and a set with a subwoofer is mostly very well worth having.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Just to clarify, any set of POWERED speakers (i.e. ones with their own built in powered amplifier) will work. The speakers should come with a mains adapter lead and a signal lead with a 3.5mm jack plug which should plug into the pale green jack socket on teh back of the PC.

By way of contrast, a pair of non-powered spearkers (as one would connect to a hifi system) would not really work (the PC would not produce a sufficiently powerful signal to drive teh speakers).

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Batch: is that really the case? I'd swear I've used non-powered speakers. The sound is a bit rubbish/weak, but they are acceptable for most purposes except serious music listening. For sure, laptops support unpowered speakers, which are much more portable.

Like this post
the-peoples-poet

Likes # 0

Hi

Thank you both for your comments. And yes, all those years ago when I got this comp, it never had speakers come with it. The only reason I want a set now is that I have finally got myself set up with decent broadband and I can stream internet radio. I would like to hear it properly as opposed to listening via an app on my mobile phone.

Sarah :)

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Passive speakers,ones that need to be connected to an amplifier Active speakers,ones that have an inbuilt amp or are driven through the powered subwoofer,most pc speakers are active

If you just want some cheap speakers this will be as good as you will get http://www.cclonline.com/product/19879/980-000011/PC-Speakers/Logitech-S120-Speaker-System/SPK0132/

Spend a little more and get something with a bit of clarity and definition and bass http://www.cclonline.com/product/42375/51MF0405AA003/PC-Speakers/Creative-Inspire-A320-Speakers/SPK1172/

Like this post
the-peoples-poet

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am not spending £30+ on a set of speakers that will barely get used, I can't justify the cost atm.

I was considering these, they seem to have got good reviews from the people who have bought them already. They are small and wont' take up much space and reasonably priced.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9125508.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, green socket on the back. Dell offer speakers (and loads of other things) as optional extras.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

they are usb powered so no mains plug

the first set i linked to were the same brand slightly cheaper

Like this post
the-peoples-poet

Likes # 0

Hi,

It was the reviews I looked at, when I posted that link, they were all positive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia