We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Restore new lappy - Should it take THIS long?

AngeTheHippy
Resolved

Likes # 0

Morning Chaps, New Samsung windows 7 laptop 1 week old, has been fine until today, 'there are no networks available' (or words to that effect) which is rubbish, I have 2 others connected, this laptop and a tablet. Decided to do a Sys restore - it started 28 MINUTES ago, it's at the 'please wait while your windows files and settings are being restored, system restore is restoring the registry' I'm very concerned about this, it IS doing something, the blue circle is turning (thinking!)and the hdd blue light is gently flickering so not dead. WHAT'S HAPPENING, should I just leave it? I still don't understand WHY it couldn't find ANY networks (usually about 7 on the list).

a VERY concerned AngetheHippy x

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

System Restore should only take around 5 minutes from selecting it to being re-booted. There is something definitely wrong and I am wondering whether it is hardware or software. My feeling is that it could be hardware with the OS loaded and some activity but no resolution.

Given its age I suggest it should be down to the vendor.

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Morning johndrew, thanks for replying. well! It took 42 minutes in total, it's up and working fine now... however, I seem to be having another problem, this time with Avast free, suddenly turning into Avast pro, but it's a common problem apparently and am reading Avast users forum for the answer.

Will certainly keep an eye on the OS though; on the plus side it DOES have a 5-year warrenty (HW) and normal 1 year, so... fingers crossed1!

Ange x

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I too have had this problem with Avast. After years of using it, I've switched those 2 PCs to MSE.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Have had no probs with Avast Free

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Morning onthelimit1 & tullie, I think I've got a 'soft spot' for Avast ... lol. Been to the Avast user group and others have had the same prob with free & pro versions, I've d/loaded their removal tool and re-installed the FREEEE version. IF it happens again, I'll need to think of MSE, I guess. Laptop still behaving network-wise, btw.

Ange x

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

You do have to be very careful with Avast Free - when they upgrade the software (rather than just the virus database) it's very easy to click on the wrong button - and you find you've inadvertently upgraded to the paid for version.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The cause is likely to have been Avast deciding to check everything as the Restore progressed. I seem to remember reading of a similar case somewhere but had forgotten it until it was mentioned here. Whilst Avast is a good AV it can do too much at times which is why I prefer MSE - having used several free offerings over the past few years.

Anyway, glad all is resolved.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...