We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Flash Player update warning in IE.

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

I've just switched to Windows7 and a great many times when I call up a page in IE, I get an on screen message...."Warning please update Flash Player". There are a couple of boxes there marked update and install. I actually clicked on one yesterday and it seemed to be loading...not updating, but I'm still getting the message, which doesn't seem to appear in Firefox. Can anyone advise please?

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Get the latest version here - http://www.filehippo.com/downloadflashplayerie/14809/

Close IE before installing. If you still get the messages, post again.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

http :// www.filehippo.com / downloadflashplayerie / 14809/

maybe that one works better - take out the spaces

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Update to IE 10.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

OK, how about this link instead...

http://tinyurl.com/d75qa9p

Well well well, looks like FileHippo don't host the original file any more - so it takes you to the Adobe installation page. Just remember to untick the "bonus" software it wants to foist on you before clicking Download Now

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

jaywoo, nobody is allowed to host older version of Flash anymore hence my recommendation to upgrade IE to the 10 version.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

rdave13 - that's news to me. Why does software that needs updating so often and is regularly called out for issues try to make things harder to keep up to date - Java is another one. Seems to suit them that people need to keep running the latest installers to update, and have to untick toolbars or browsers or addons first.

Missed your post amongst all my failed attempts at posting the link!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I run without Java RE and IE now updates Flash as a matter of course.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks jaywoo and rdave...very helpful. I actually thought it was a scam popup, somehow didn't seem kosher. rdave,can I just install 10 directly on to my machine or do I have to do anything to my version 9 first, and why will that stop the update warning?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check Windows update first. When you have all the updates, including SP1, you should be offered IE 10. That's the way I'd go, otherwise look here.

IE 10 has flash player integrated to the browser and will auto update.

You won't need to do anything with IE 9.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks jaywoo and rdave for your patience,help and advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...