We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

This one has got me stumped PC to TV via HDMI fails

markcomp

Likes # 0

I am going to go through bullet point wise. -PC with asus board and kingston memory initailly connected through HDMI to LG TV -After a while it would default to a blank screen (white with lots of tiny coloured dots. Checked evrything and eventaully took out a stick of memory (2gb) leaving 2gb. -This seemed to fix the problem, tried reinserting the stick and the problem returned. So removed it -A while later it started to happen again but this time, part way into loading windows, i.e. it showed the bios laoding, but failed within a few seconds of loading windows. -tried memory in different slots -Changed graphics card, no effect -Reinserted memory and ran memtest overnight - no problems reported -runs monitor with no problems, TV accepts signal from laptop and playstation Tried one more time and noticed that windows starts to load, the screen goes black, there is the faintest of ticks from somewhere in the case and it goes blank. -AMD Athlon II 635 X4 AM3 Processor Asus M4A88T-M sAM3 motherboard Kingston 2x2GB 1600MHz DDR3 HyperX memory

Has anyone any ideas, as I have hit a brick wall on this one.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I'm guessing the the processor power required to run the HD graphics is affecting the screen display. Although you have replaced the Graphics card, a lot of processing power still goes through the CPU and the information Bus lanes.

Think of it in the terms of a video download, on a HD video, you need 'Buffering top up' from time to time.

Do you have an S-video output on your computer, as that may be a better connection. Most TV's have a S-video input.

Try that, or an alternative is to take the S-video ( or Video + sound phono plugs) from the computer, and connect it to a Video recorder, then out to the TV.

It may not be a perfect solution (standard picture not HD), but better than nothing.

Like this post
markcomp

Likes # 0

Hi Terry, Thanks for this. I can understand the point, but why did it work for so long previously, at least a month, if not longer? Its the erratic nature which I cannot pin down

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You do not actually mention what Graphics card you are using, not that it matters as I can and do run from my HTPC a HDMI cable to my 32" TV using a Asus P8H61-1 Mobo and a G840 CPU and on-board graphics so with no problems viewing videos or anything else for that matter.

Possible power supply problem, but unlikely as you say monitor is fine. Will have to give this some thought as nothing else springs to mind at the moment.

Like this post
markcomp

Likes # 0

Initially it had onboard graphics, and the problems. Now it has a XFX HD 7950 DD 3GB dedicated card, and still shows the same problem. A head scratcher for me, but the kids are somewhat disapointed

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide