We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

After uninstalling Mailwasher Free get contactlib.dll error

nhow
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently uninstalled Mailwasher Free and installed MW Pro. Now I get a startup error application failed to start because contactlib.dll was not found. Other than this error, nothing seems to be amiss. Everything starts and runs OK. But the error appears every time I boot up Win XP. Can't find a simple way to get rid of it and I would rather not download and run software (to remove dll errors) that I don't know or trust.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

If you have CCleaner installed on your computer I would run the Registry cleaner. It is quite safe to use.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 1

Google for dll's and you'll get hundreds of sites that give vague information with the aim of selling you a registry cleaner.

Take a look in the Tools/Startup entry of CCleaner and paste the text here if you can't see anything that jumps out relating to the newer version of Mailwasher. If nothing pertinent shows up you need something like Autoruns which gives lots and lots of startup information. Autoruns is by SysInternals who are owned by Microsoft. It's trustworthy but like most powerful software can be harmful if not used carefully. No built-in Windows software will give you the kind of detail you need to track down the problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

Have you run Ccleaner's 'clean' icon. I don't mean the reg cleaner. That usually gets rid of orphan dll. files.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

All you need do is go to RUN then type Regedit press enter, go to Edit in Regedit choose search and type in the box contactlib.dll

Next click on the Computer Icon in left Column then press enter key to search delete what it finds then press F3 this takes you to next entry, do this till you get to the END close regedit and restart PC

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 1

For some reason your PC is trying to run a file that's been deleted but "saved" by Norton Protect.

Startup User MailWasherFree.lnk Firetrust Ltd G:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00325730.EXE Yes

Startup User MailWasherPro.lnk Firetrust Ltd G:\Program Files\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe Yes

Disable it and do another Mailwasher install/remove or untick the first entry of the two above to disable the faulty Mailwasher reference.

Like this post  
jaywoo

Likes # 1

The regedit search tackles the symptom, if not the cause.

Here's a screenshot to help explain what to do with Autoruns.In the example I've clicked on "Amazon MP3 Downloader", you of course need to highlight the

Startup User MailWasherFree.lnk Firetrust Ltd G:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00325730.EXE

entry.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1ghms4&s=5

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 1

It's also worth mentioning that if you can see the same problematic entry in CCleaner's Startup list (click the Tools button) then you can remove or disable it there instead. Not all software gathers as much startup information as Autoruns so it may not show up.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 1

No problem, glad to help

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Why not use the latest version 7.1.0 that was for 2010.

Click here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

How did you remove the FREE version? See here enter link description here

It may be worth going through the install/uninstall again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers