We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

After uninstalling Mailwasher Free get contactlib.dll error

nhow
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently uninstalled Mailwasher Free and installed MW Pro. Now I get a startup error application failed to start because contactlib.dll was not found. Other than this error, nothing seems to be amiss. Everything starts and runs OK. But the error appears every time I boot up Win XP. Can't find a simple way to get rid of it and I would rather not download and run software (to remove dll errors) that I don't know or trust.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

How did you remove the FREE version? See here enter link description here

It may be worth going through the install/uninstall again.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 1

If you have CCleaner installed on your computer I would run the Registry cleaner. It is quite safe to use.

Like this post
nhow

Likes # 0

I downloaded and ran CCleaner on my registry. Sadly the error still shows up on startup.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You may want to look through here to see if there is anything that can help your problem - enter link description here

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Are you running a 32bit version of Windows. If so I would uninstall MW and reinstall it after running Ccleaner on the registry. The file should be in the MW program folder. I run a 64 bit version of Windows and I have "contactslib64.dll" in mine. Have a look and see if it is actually present. I would assume that this is where all your contacts details are stored. MW also puts a start up instruction to preload some software for quicker loading of MW when it is needed. Check in MSconfig to see if it is there and disable it to see if this is what is causing the problem. It is not really needed for MW to run.

Like this post
nhow

Likes # 0

Yes 32bit version of Windows xp. Apparently contactslib.dll and contactslib64.dll are both files included with Mailwasher. I uninstalled using Add/Remove programs in Control Panel. So, both files must have been uninstalled then. I've searched and they are no longer anywhere on my computer.

I found a comment on the Mailwasher (Firetrust) site from someone else who had the same problem after uninstalling a later version of MW Pro and reinstalling an earlier version. He tried several uninstalls/reinstalls and still had the annoying error. I wonder if this is a problem with Mailwasher?

I haven't run the Fix contactlib.dll error software as I don't know if it will help and am loathe to download and run software unless I really have no other choice.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Email a question to Nick Bolton at Firetrust. They normally reply almost straight away bearing in mind the 12 hour time difference.

Like this post
nhow

Likes # 0

Someone, not Nick, did reply at Firetrust. They said I needed to uninstall MW Pro 5.3 and install 6.5. Otherwise they said they can't help. Funny because all the trouble actually started when I rolled back from 6.5!!

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 1

Google for dll's and you'll get hundreds of sites that give vague information with the aim of selling you a registry cleaner.

Take a look in the Tools/Startup entry of CCleaner and paste the text here if you can't see anything that jumps out relating to the newer version of Mailwasher. If nothing pertinent shows up you need something like Autoruns which gives lots and lots of startup information. Autoruns is by SysInternals who are owned by Microsoft. It's trustworthy but like most powerful software can be harmful if not used carefully. No built-in Windows software will give you the kind of detail you need to track down the problem.

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...