We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SFC/scannow errors not corrected

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been correcting eventvwr errors in W 7. One referred to a leak of registry or some such, although the PC is running ok, and it is not a red error. I ran SFC/scannow and it reported some items could not be repaired. The log file - difficult to open - was enormous. I think I will leave it, but is it easy to use the original W7 ultimate CD to repair? I am being a bit picky as the PC is running OK.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It depends on what you mean by repair. If you only want to repair the startup files then yes you can boot from that Windows 7 Ultimate installer disc to repair a Windows 7 Home Basic, Home Premium or any edition of Windows 7 provided that they are the same version -- either 32 or 64-bits.

I have used my Win7 Pro CD on just a few occasions to repair files - without any problems.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I am being a bit picky as the PC is running OK. Yes, maybe - so it is up to you if you decide to proceed.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

northumbria61

Thanks . I am on a tablet now and will be more specific tomorrow. As the warning is not red I may just leave it.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

John - In that case I would be tempted to leave it.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Hqaving read the warning again, it seems possible that this is a clash between Avira and Malawarebytes. Too detailed to go into here but as things are working I will leave it. I am aware that only one anti virus programme should be active.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Having said that it did refer to a winlogon file and when I found it in Windows explorer it said Chameleon(Programme filesx86)\Malawarebytes. I scanned it with Avira and SAS and it seemed clean.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You may have hit the nail on the head, as quite often two programs that do the same job (virus checking) will cause confusion as each tries to remove the other.

Try removing one of them to see if it cures the problem.

Terry

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

Thanks. I will try temporarily removing Malawarebytes, although it is not in my start up programme. I have SAS which I use more often.When I last installed Avira it did not "like" the Malawarebytes, Spywareblaster etc, but seems to work nevertheless.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

On reflection I think I will leave things as they are. On looking further into Malawarebytes I found they have a facility (Chameleon) that enables one to run a scan if you PC picks up a bug that tries to disable MBAM, a useful tool I had not seen before.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'