We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A question for anyone who uses Incredimail

Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Windows 7

Hi

I've used the free version of Incredimail from as far back as I can remember. The version I have at present is 2.5.

Something happened yesterday, that has happened before. When I opened Incredimail there was nothing there. There should have been nearly 4000 files. Made up of sent emails, received emails, saved emails, links to websites, saved information, passwords, receipts etc etc. But it was empty, last time this happened I just moved the mouse pointer across it and everything appeared, as if like magic. This time still nothing, so I switched it off and on again, still nothing. I rebooted my PC nothing, everything else is normal.

But I wasn't too worried because every now and then I do a of its contents. As luck would have it I'd done one only a couple of days ago. I clicked on 'Import Data' and unusually it asked me to tell it where the data cabs were? I did and it started to go through the motions, told me I hadn't lost anything, everything had gone fine and when I restarted Incredimail all my files would be there...but they weren't! I reinstalled IncMail and imported the data again but the result is the same.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what hss happened and why it isn't importing the data?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

No-one uses Incredimal I find that hard to believe?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Graphicool1 - I am an Incredimail user but at the moment I can't figure out why it is not importing your Data. Have you opened your Incredimail Data files to see if there is any Data in there?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I too use Incredimail but have never experienced your problem. Have you tried asking on Incredimail Help or on the Incredimail Forum?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I clicked on 'Import Data' and unusually it asked me to tell it where the data cabs were?

I don't understand what you are saying here. If you are importing back to Incredimail then it has to know where you exported to (ie: saved to) to be able to restore.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Graphicool1 - is there anything there at all ie: Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items down the left hand column? Below that you should have "On my Computer" - have you expanded that?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

"Have you opened your Incredimail Data files to see if there is any Data in there?"

Yes, I've opened the Data Cabs and all 3796 files are in them.

" If you are importing back to Incredimail then it has to know where you exported to"

Exactly, I always save to the same external drive. So when I click on 'Export Data and Settings' it always knows where to put them. So when I click to restore 'Import' those files, it always knows where to import them from. But on this occasion it didn't and still doesn't, I have to tell it?

"is there anything there at all ie: Inbox, Drafts"

Yes, on the left side most of the folders are there, but they are all empty. As for the 'On My Computer' folder that is also there but when I click to expand none of my created personal folder are there, it's just empty.

Nontek

"Have you tried asking on Incredimail Help or on the Incredimail Forum?"

One of the folders that would have been under 'My Computer' contained 'User Names' and 'Passwords'. Because I am already registered on the Incredimail forum, when I want to access it, this being the first time in years. It asks for my email address and password. Although I can tell it my email address, I can't remember my password. To reset my password it needs my email address and my 'User Name', which I can't remember and can't get from the folder.

I thought it might have slipped into an 'Alternative Identity Mode'. If you right click the box at the top of the left hand column, it gives you the option to switch identities. When it switches identities I thought it might show different folders, but still no joy.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Graphicool1 - That was to be my next question about "Identities". I have just recently had my first major problem with IC when it started to crash within 2 mins of opening and on every occasion.

Fortunately I have the paid for version (since 2005) so I was able to get help via VIP Support and the problem was sorted within 4hrs and 4 emails sent/reply with some very precise instructions to follow to create a New Identity.

I know that there very little or no help for the free version either from individuals or the Incredimail Forums.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Exactly, I always save to the same external drive. So when I click on 'Export Data and Settings' it always knows where to put them. So when I click to restore 'Import' those files, it always knows where to import them from.

Is there any chance that you have seperate data.cab files or when you export do you overwrite the previous ones?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

"Is there any chance that you have seperate data.cab files or when you export do you overwrite the previous ones?"

When I export I always overwrite the previous ones. I'm at a loss where to go or what to try now. As you say help for non paying users is all but zero. This is why this was my first (perhaps last) port of call. At my last visit to the forum I noted that cries of help and queries just weren't being answered. Even if I'm not in a position to ask for help on there, I can still see the dates of the last replies, it's not good news.

I guess as you're a paid member you could always tell them my story as though it were yours and see what they suggest? just a thought.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

northumbria61

If my last suggestion/thought is a no go, would it be possible to transfer the contents of the Data Cabs to another email client?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)