We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

formatting a hard disc

trish1997

Likes # 0

I need to format a hard disc to enable me to transfer videos from my Humax foxsat HDR. when plugged in to the Humax it asks me to format the drive on my PC to FAT16/32 OR EXT3. THERE IS ONLY ONE OPTION available when formatting the drive on my PC which is either the default of NTFS or exFAT neither of which is compatible with the Humax. The hard disc is now empty but has a capacity of 320GB. Can anyone assist please to enable me to use this HD to transfer videos to enable me to watch them on my pc?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would say NTFS - The main reason to go to NTFS is for larger files support. Fat32 has a max file size limit of 4GB. You have to use NTFS if you want a single file over 4GB in size.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I would say NTFS - The main reason to go to NTFS is for larger files support. Fat32 has a max file size limit of 4GB. You have to use NTFS if you want a single file over 4GB in size.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

trish1997 - sorry I have misread your question. Is there anything here that will help? enter link description here

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

Thanks for that, Northumbria 61,seems I have to buy more software to enable me to do this then. What a joke Humax!!! You would have thought they would have dealt with this problem before now, we have had this box for 2 years, I have tried a USB sflash drive and although that did work, as said the programmes are too large to fit. :)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

That's a bit unfair to say "What a joke Humax!!!"

Humax uses Linux not Windows. It's as Humax says: "the NTFS file system is the intellectual property of Microsoft and does not offer the level of support and reliability that Humax demands for it's products. The drivers for the FAT, however, are well established and can be easily and reliably supported."

Article does go on to tell you how to get around this with the links to the FREEware

Like this post
trish1997

Likes # 0

Ok I hold my hands up, I didn't understand the following paragraphs, just that Humax hasn't made it easy to transfer videos. I most humbly apologise.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

All HDDRs use some form of linux

The Humax forum is a great place to find everything you need to know or can do with your HUMAX.

The Humax does not support writing to a NTFS disk but can read from it Free customised firmware will sort that.

If you do not want to Up date the Humax firmware with the customised firmware then you can use a Linux CD to format your hard drive to EXT2/3 or use easeus-partition-manager free.

I used Partition Magic to format one half of an external drive to Ext3 and the other to Fat32, large files (HD films) are decrypted using Foxy and then copied to the ext3 partition small files are copied direct to the Fat32

All information on how to do this is found on the Hummy forum.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite