We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Keyboard Problems

Abel
Resolved

Likes # 0

For some inexplicable reason certain keys on my desktop machine fail to produce the appropriate letter. In fact I was unable to sent this message from that machine because the missing letters rendered it gobbledegook. Can someone perhaps provide a reason and remedy please.

Abel

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check via Control Panel to see if your settings have changed

Region & Language - Location Tab (UK) - Keyboard & Languages Tab - Should be set to English (United Kingdom)

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61! No, none of the settings have changed.

Abel

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here and go through the instructions enter link description here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I would expect similar problems on a laptop if num lock was on. It may be worthwhile checking on the desktop.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Woolwell - Number Lock doesn't appear to make any difference on a desktop (at least not on mine)

Abel - If there is anything else other than English (United Kingdom) installed under Keyboard & Languages then remove it - click apply - then OK

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If settings are all OK, a new keyboard would probably be the answer - they are very cheap.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Num Lock should not make a difference but we don't know make or brand of keyboard.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

I'm sorry not to have responded to any of the replies from northumbria61, Woolwell and onthelimit1 since 11.40am this-morning, but not one of them was notified to me by the usual e-mail. However, this is not unusual and I've complained about it many times to the Forum Editor. I've been up since 5.15am this-morning and I'm completely shattered, so things will have to wait until tomorrow because I'm now off to bed.

Abel

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

It's not clear to me whether pressing a key generates nothing at all on the screen, or if it produces the wrong character. If the former, I'd think it's definitely a faulty keyboard or keyboard connection. If it is the former, is it consistently the same keys that are 'wrong' - or is it random?

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Thanks for your link northumbria61 but key depressions don't produce any characters on the screen at all, let alone wrong ones. This also answers your query too Ian in Northampton. It's quite strange, the entire bottom row of keys produce nothing on the screen and some others too, including the return key. Because the keyboard is part of a Microsoft combo I was hoping there was perhaps a solution, so I guess I'll have to heed onthelimit's advice and buy a new set.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'