We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"open with" not working in Windows 7

Penny101

Likes # 0

Hello, I'm using Libre Office 4.0. When I want to open a .doc file in Libre Office, I right click and select Open with... It gives me the option to choose a default program, so I go through and select swriter.exe. But, when I click Open, it doesn't open the file! The page goes back to Recommended programs (Office 2010, Notepad, PDF), and it doesn't appear in the Other programs section either. Any ideas? Thanks, Penny

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Silly question, since no-one else has replied, but is swriter.exe definitely the correct executable file to launch the word processor in Libre Office? There isn't by any chance another .EXE file such as writer.exe?

Can you launch the program and then open the file from within the running program?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I thought (and this seems to support that) the supplied MODEM had to be used, but 3rd party routers can be connected to it instead of the Home Hub.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry - posted my answer in the wrong thread!

Like this post
Penny101

Likes # 0

Hi mgmcc,

No question is silly at my level! All the Libre Office program files seem to have an 's' in front of them. And yes, I can open the files within the program when it's running, so it's not a major problem - just really annoying! Thanks for answering :) Penny

Like this post
jaywoo

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK