We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Imminent hard disk failure disk 0

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I was watching TV then switched the monitor back to PC which had been running OK. Just got a totally blank screen as if the monitor switched off. Rebooted the PC and got something like this, Imminent hard drive failure Disk 0 PATA #251 F10 run DPS self test. Test 1 said OK, test 2 would not start. Rebooted as normal.

Message may seem obvious but not something I have seen before. I have a backup so no real problem if it fails apart from replacing the drive. Should I just ignore it?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bumpkin, I would think of problems ahead with the drive.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

rdave, it certainly looks that way, no problem to change it anyway but I think I will keep as is for the moment just to see what happens. Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's what I would do. Results you show would be typical for an SSD drive as SMART is not applicable, totally, to those drives.

It's dying but if you run CHKDSK it will try to repair or hide bad sectors.

You could eke out more life out of it but will it be worth while?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

rdave13, "You could eke out more life out of it but will it be worth while?" NO in a nutshell. Just want to see what it does as a matter of interest, I may learn something. Will change it anyway at the first sign of any problem.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You've already had the first sign of any problems. Bin the bloody thing.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" What it says really is that all is OK apart from those that say unknown."

Those results are odd and inconclusive for a PATA drive so it's possible that the motherboard's BIOS is misinterpreting the data and giving a false positive.

I'm not completely sure that the drive is indeed about to fail imminently.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel, I too am no longer sure it about to fail as I have had no problems at all since replacing the CMOS battery. I cant see what relevance it has though. I can bin it and fit another one now but I see no reason to do this. If it fails I will replace it if not let it be. Thanks for your help, will tick as solved so probably be replacing it in the morning:-)

Ray

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia