We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Imminent hard disk failure disk 0

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, I was watching TV then switched the monitor back to PC which had been running OK. Just got a totally blank screen as if the monitor switched off. Rebooted the PC and got something like this, Imminent hard drive failure Disk 0 PATA #251 F10 run DPS self test. Test 1 said OK, test 2 would not start. Rebooted as normal.

Message may seem obvious but not something I have seen before. I have a backup so no real problem if it fails apart from replacing the drive. Should I just ignore it?

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

Looks like this warning is comming from an older HP/Compaq utility details here

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bpb11736

But whatever external drives are resonably priced and there are freeware drive backup programs a plenty, to provide you insurance against drive failure

Cheers HC

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Tosh, you are on the ball it is indeed an old HP Compaq. Reading through your link I don't think that I gave it enough time to complete the test. I have plenty of backup drives and software so no problem if it does fail. Just struck me as a strange message out of the blue. The drive is a 320 Maxtor about 1yr old. Perhaps just a blip in the system, if it occurs again I will let the self test run its full course. It was working fine and is now, it is the sudden blank screen that puzzles me.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Bumpkin, most hard drives and motherboards support technology called S.M.A.R.T. which constantly monitors hard-drive health and reports any problems found to the motherboard which in turn alerts the user. It's not specific to HP or Compaq computers.

"Perhaps just a blip in the system...."

It's possible. DiskSmartView v1.05 is simple tool that can interrogate the saved SMART data recorded in your hard drive. It doesn't need installing - just download the ZIP file and double-click on DiskSmartView to launch it. Look down the "Status" column. If everything's fine then it should show "OK" for every section. If it says something different such as "OK Pre-Fail" then let us know more about it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel, here is part of it.

Reported Uncorrectable Errors 390 1 1 0 Unknown Internal Temperature 41°C 41 52 0 Unknown [130] 1,099,528,405,851 1 0 0 Unknown Throughput Performance 0 0 0 0 Unknown Read Error Rate 4,402,425,561,859 0 3 6 Unknown Spin-Up Time 200,115,411,222,528 0 0 0 Unknown [164] 193,308,106,162,688 0 0 0 Unknown [155] 14,293,651,161,088 0 3 0 Unknown [131] 1,552,915,890,176 153 3 0 Ok
Read Error Rate 0 0 0 6 Unknown General Information

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

This only started today, when I try to boot it keeps asking me to press F1 to save the changes, eventually works after a few attempts. I have made no changes. Could this be related to drive failure?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Secret-Squirrel, here is part of it."

Thanks for that but with everything jumbled up because the formatting's gone, it's difficult to make any sense of it. If you're able to do a screengrab with something like the Windows Snipping Tool then upload it to somewhere like postimage.org then it'll be easier to interpret the results.

"....when I try to boot it keeps asking me to press F1 to save the changes...."

I doubt that it's anything to do with the hard drive. You usually get that behaviour when the motherboard's CMOS battery is flat. Has the PC been losing time recently?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

thanks for your reply, I used cut and paste but appreciate that it did not work very well it was not as it was displayed on the screen. What it says really is that all is OK apart from those that say unknown. Clock seems OK but I will change the BIOS battery anyway.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Another good drive analysis program is SpeedFan. Use the S.M.A.R.T. tab for testing. It will also run an online scan using the 'Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard drive'. Worth a look.

Filehippo link.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I meant the CMOS battery don't know why I typed BIOS. Having put the new one in everything seems fine again. I can't see what that has to do with the failing drive message though. Thanks to all for your help, reluctant to close thread just yet, I will see what happens Tomorrow.

Ray

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

rdave23, thanks for the link interesting program. In depth on line analysis of the drive in question shows overall performance 90%, overall fitness 0% other drive on same PC is 98% and 90%. Does not instill a great deal of confidence in the suspect drive does it. Will see what happens.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features