We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has Google Chrome Been Infected?

jimforrest

Likes # 0

I have noticed over the last few days that very often, when requesting a search in Google Chrome, a pop-up appears asking survey questions. A disclaimer states that it's nothing to do with Google - so where has it come from? I have disabled all but the obvious progs through CCleaner (Startup) menu but it's still running. Any ideas on what it is and how I can get rid of it? Computer is running Win7.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Check

Chrome Settings

Under Privacy select "Content Settings ....". scroll down to "Pop-ups" and check that radio dial for "Do not allow any site to show pop-ups (recommended)" has been selected.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Check for malware.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Alter Browser settings to stop the popup surveys http://www.ehow.co.uk/how7924404stop-pop-up-surveys.html

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Site messed link up, (if there are two _ in link it turns text inbetween to italics and breaks the link)

ClickHere for working link

Like this post
jimforrest

Likes # 0

Thanks chaps - but no luck so far. Malwarebytes found 3 'malicious' progs (although I think they were programme downloaders), and Google settings was already set to stop pop-ups. But they are still popo ping up - the latest one came up when I clicked on the link for the BBC news - it's from Consumer Survey Group - but where is it hiding itself? The site address is www.consumersurveygroup.org.

Like this post
Mar hfgfgf

Likes # 0

I'm having this problem too. There you are looking at a newspaper on the web, then a small pop-up window appears, and a voice begins to tell you that you've been selected for a survey. Yesterday, in exactly the same way I got a pop-up for a dating agency.

I followed the advice on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492906/i-keep-receiving-consumer-survey-when-i-use-the-internet/

which suggests using MalwareBytes and Superantispyware, but this hasn't changed anything.

Another symptom is that I use two screens, and if I view Chrome using a full screen on the left hand monitor, it jumps to the LH monitor at the same window size as the pop-up

I'm running Windows 7 and use Norton Internet Security

Help !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...