We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sky Router not seen by one laptop

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

A Kiwi has recently moved into my village. He has a new Sky broadband setup. Two laptops and various tablets, phones connect wirelessly to it with no problem.

A two week old Toshiba laptop with W8 sees 6 networks in the vicinity, but the Sky one does not appear in the list. I brought the laptop home and it could see and connect to my two networks.

Anyone any idea what is going on here?

Thanks.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Exactly the same location as the other laptops?

Changed router channel?

Dual band router and laptop is searching only one band?

I'm clutching at straws because it is odd.

Probably work when you take it back just to annoy you!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, same room as the router and the other devices. Haven't changed the channel yet - I'll let insider show me what's going on when I call tomorrow.

Latest Sky router (didn't note the make/model). I've tried removing all the existing profiles (not that easy in W8 - I hate it!)- not sure how to check the band the laptop is searching.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I have an Edimax wifi dongle - think I'll try that instead of the built in one if changing channels doesn't help.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"........I'll let insider show me what's going on when I call tomorrow."

If you find the Sky router's using channel 12 or 13 then that could be the problem as I've previously found that some wireless adapters can only see networks that use the first 11. Using a channel number between 1 and 11 may make the wireless network visible to the new laptop.

Good luck.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

SS - thanks for the tip. I think the default channel selection is 'auto', so could well be on 13. If so, I'll swop it and see.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The router is on Ch 6 - others in the area are 1 and 11. Still couldn't connect. Installed the dongle - saw and connected straight away. baffled isn't the word!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...