We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Not booting from new ssd.

diving bubbles

Likes # 0

Windows 7, Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3R,Mother Board. Crucial M4 512GB ssd. Hi, I've cloned my old drive to the new ssd and it will boot when connected to the sata connector on the ICH10R controller but trying to boot from the sata connectors on the Marvell 9128, to take advantage of the sata6Gb/s it wont. The bios is set to ide under the integrated peripherals menu. I'm not bothered about raid configurations. Any ideas? Thanks, Alan.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

It is always best to do a clean/fresh install of Windows when adding a SSD hard-drive. Also change the integrated peripherals setting to AHCI.

Like this post
diving bubbles

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos, but I have found the culprit. Faulty SATA cable. Brand new. Fitted old cable and boots OK. Off subject,is there any difference between SATA cables? Some are sold as 6Gb/s and others not. Why does it say to connect the L shaped end to your drive? My SSD would benefit from a straight connector. Thanks Alan.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Although you have sorted your problem it still is best to do a fresh install of Windows when fitting an SSD.

You can connect any end to the SSD I personally do not use Sata cables with 90 degree bends. I use these as they are thin. Ebay.

Read this about cables.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...