We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Opinions wanted on my first build

Querion

Likes # 0

Hi all,

I'd kindly ask for opinion from the pros on my first planned desktop build. I have been using laptops at home for the past couple of years, but I want to build a strong desktop which I can use for a couple of years without opening the case too much.

I plan to use the build primarily for normal stuff, with occasional gaming. But since I am putting together an app developer company, I need a strong build which I can use also for PS and Adobe Edge without worring too much about resources.

So, here's what I have put together so far:

• Motherboard: ASROCK Z77 Extreme3
  • Processor: INTEL Core i7-3770 3.40GHz 1155 BOX
  • RAM: 2x KINGSTON 8GB HyperX XMP Blu DDR3 1600MHz CL9 KIT
  • VGA: ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5 GTX660Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCIE
  • HDD: WD 2TB Caviar Green 5400rpm 64MB SATA3 WD20EARX
  • SSD: SAMSUNG 250GB SATA3 SSD 2,5" MZ-7TD250BW
  • BDD: ASUS BC-12B1ST Black OEM
  • Case:SHARKOON Vaya Value Black
  • PSU: FSP Aurum Gold 700W
  • OP: MICROSOFT Windows 8 64bit
  • Processor cooler: COOLERMASTER Hyper T4 RR-T4-18PK-R1

The build is prepared for accepting another nVidia card for SLI later. Also, the SSD will be used for the op and the software that is sensitive to data handling like PS, the HDD will be used for data storage.

I wonder if there are weak spots, or something that's out of line in the setup. I am no expert on which component works best with the other, this build is a work of a couple of days of digging forums. I dont plan to OC or tweak the build as I am way too noob for that stuff.

I am listening to any ideas on where to swap components or improve the setup without increasing the price.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I do not like the case but that is a personal view but you seem to be spending a fair bit of your build and then sticking it in a cheap case.

I have never heard of that brand of PSU but it may be that it is not sold or very popular here in the UK.

It is unlikely that you will ever come close to needing any more than 8Gb of RAM unless you were going to be running several virtual machines or you do hard-core video encoding or audio engineering.

Unless you really want Windows 8 I would stick with windows 7 as there is likely to be big changes this year sometime from Microsoft and Windows 8.

Apart from the above nice build.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do