We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIG T/bird problems on Win 7 Lappy - installs but won't open!

AngeTheHippy
Resolved

Likes # 0

Aft'noon chaps, Rather taken with the Samsung lappy received recently. HOWEVER, I'm trying with no luck at all, to install thunderbird email client - it instals then get small windows unable to open Thunderbird profile missing or inaccessible I've d/loaded (NOT always from the same source)& installed 5 times now, having to delete each time as I cannot get past this irritating message!! In desparation, I've dloaded after reading reviews eM Client - which states we detect you have Thunderbird installed - I HAVEN'T!!! What should I do, please?

AngeTheHippy x

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Type or copy & paste this command %appdata% into the Search Box and press Enter:

2. It will open your Roaming folder where you can find the "Thunderbird" folder. It is the location of a Thunderbird profile and since the current profile doesn't work, you can either delete "Thunderbird" folder or rename it to something else, for example "Thunderbird-old"

3. Start Thunderbird again and it will recreate a new profile. Then, re-add your e-mail account and all should be now OK

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Getting excited now, Fruit Bat /\0/\ .... YES, it DID create a new 'roaming' folder and it DID open t/bird!

Next problem. How/what exactly do I need to migrate from old vista lappy to this one please? I've read copy * profiles * (an icon that looks like a white sheet of paper with a cog on) and registry.dat. I have both of those I copied over and have placed on desktop... do I need 'em?

Ange x

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

and can I delete the 'thunderbirdold' folder now?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you can delete the old Thunderbird folder now.

Mozebackup is what you need

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

OK, so I would need to install on both machines, yeah? Sorry Fruit Bat /\0/\, I'm being dense - I've never encountered this kind of prob with email before!

Ange x

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ , I'll be getting on with this tomorrow and will tell ya'all how I got on. MANY THANKS (as usual)Fruit Bat /\0/\ , much appreciated.

Ange x

Like this post
AngeTheHippy

Likes # 0

Well Fruit Bat /\0/\ , did as you suggested, and. . . . . WORKED WONDERFULLY many thanks indeed!

Ange x

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Just for information of others looking at this post, it is simple to create a profile for T/bird (or Firefox) by running "thunderbird.exe -p" (firefox.exe -p) and creating a new profile in the wizard. It is possible to create it in any location ie in the more logical location - "My Documents" rather than in its default location.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home