We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Enter text into forms on screen then print.

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi all, what I would like to do if possible is scan in a form i.e. tax return then type in the required text in the right place, save and then print to the original form.

I did something like this years back but the way I set about it at the time was overly complicated and time consuming. Can anyone suggest a method for doing this please. Thanks

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

A number of image editors will allow you to add text to an image (e.g. a jpeg), but they can be a bit crude. The editors themselves don't tend to have any knowledge of the boxes the text needs to overlay or an appropriate size of text.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I use Photoshop as Batch suggests; the print is formed on a layer, which can be merged down, and the final form saved as a .pdf file that can be read universally. I think other photo editors like Paint.net (free) are similar.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies, I have Serif Photo Plus X5 and Microsoft Paint, any use? or a link to Photoshop please. This is not something I have much experience of so excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

A bit more info, the reason I want to do this is that a lot of forms have tiny boxes which are read by computers, my writing is not very good and I usually get my daughter to do this for me. If I could type it in the right place using PC would be better though probably not easier:-)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Serif PhotoPlus will do it but a bit fiddly to get the text box in the right place with the right font size. The process with other photo editors will be very similar. PhotoPlus uses layers too.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell, seems I have suitable software but never really used it. How do I set about this and what does "layers" mean.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Create a new layer (it's like a blank transparent sheet over the original photo) - Layers - New Layer and on that use the text tool - position it where you want to start and set you font and its size. You will probably want to play around with the size. When you have finished you can move it to exactly over the box on the form. Using a layer means that you are only altering that layer and not the original underneath. When you have finished then you can merge the layers and export as pdf.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW Serif have some good tutorials in their software.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again, I will have a play with that and look at the tutorials. From what you have said it seems like I use the scan as the first layer to get my positioning and put the text on layer 2, then save layer 2 and print that onto the original form. Am I correct here?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not quite - use scan to start (base layer) - add a layer insert text (you can move text or layer to right position) - merge layers - save as pdf - print - data will be on form.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......