We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I want to erase my hard drive permanently

Danageddon

Likes # 0

Hello

I have a msi u130 netbook and i want to erase the hard drive. Only thing is there is no built in CD/DVD drive so i cannot load a system disc after i wipe clean. I'm also thinking i won't be able to reboot using factory installed information due to wiping the hard drive.

Can anyone please advise me how to go about adding the system/windows7, will i be able to download from a website for free? How would i go about adding the re boot information to netbook?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Not sure why you want to erase hard drive. Without external cd/dvd drive, no chance to reinstall Win 7 and programs. Also appears you do not have the Win7 installation CD. You will also need to make sure you have note of your Win 7 serial number and a backup of your documents, emails etc.

I suggest you restore the notebook to factory settings. You will of course lose all your documents unless you have them backed up. You will need a USB memory stick for that or in the cloud with Google,MS outlook Drop box to name a few.

MSI Wind Notebook Factory Restore

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You can use a USB flash drive to install windows 7. Here's how, Win 7 USB.

Or

Win 7 USB 2.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If your passing the laptop on then:

Reset to factory conditions

Download and install CCleaner Use the wipe Free Space tool on 3 pass

Any data on the drive other than the operating system will be impossible to retrieve.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

External USB DVD ROMs are quite cheap these days.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Many of the Erasure Programs have the option of leaving the OS untouched, while overwriting everything else

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

CCleaner (free) has a thorough drive wipe facility.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...