We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Two different networks, two network adapters...

atomcontrol

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have 6 computers connected through a switch (I think one of them does the routing... not sure) for a taxi booking system. I see no router. None of them have an internet connection. I have another network with a Virgin Media router and would like to add an internet connection to one of the 6 computers. Default gateway on the taxi booking system network is 192.168.2.1 Default gateway on the Virgin Media network is 10.10.0.1 Subnet is set to 255.255.255.0 for both networks.

I've red somewhere they should be on different subnets (255.255.255.0 and 255.255.0.0). I couldn't try this as the Virgin router only allows 255.255.255.x subnet

I've added a USB to network adapter as a second NIC on the PC I need to get internet onto and assigned a static IP address to it (10.10.0.20). The other built in NIC (connected to the taxi booking system) has a static address assigned as well (192.168.2.110)

When both NICs are connected the taxi booking system works but there is no internet. When I disconnect the pc from the taxi booking network I can get online just fine.

There is also a "internet gateway" icon showing up in control panel that when clicked on it shows an internet connection even when connected to both networks.

PCs are running Windows XP.

Any input on this matter would be very welcome and highly appreciated. Thank you.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

" I have 6 computers connected through a switch (I think one of them does the routing... not sure) for a taxi booking system. I see no router. None of them have an internet connection."

If there is no internet access, there would be no need for connection to a router and I cannot see why these computers would have a "Default Gateway" address. They need only be connected to the Network Switch and given fixed IP and Subnet Mask (not Subnet) addresses. As this is just an internal "intranet", try deleting the Default Gateway address in case that is causing the problem with the PC that you do want to give internet access to.

"I've added a USB to network adapter as a second NIC on the PC I need to get internet onto and assigned a static IP address to it (10.10.0.20)."

This adapter will need to have:

• An IP address. 10.10.0.20 is fine provided the router is operating in this subnet (IP address range) and it doesn't conflict with any other devices.
  • Subnet Mask address. Should be 255.0.0.0 with 10.x.x.x IP addresses, but using 255.255.255.0 won't matter.
  • Default Gateway address. This must be the router's own IP address.
  • DNS Server addresses. Virgin Media's DNS addresses are 194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100
Like this post
atomcontrol

Likes # 0

It worked. Thanks for the help mgmcc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...