We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

why can't I see a breakdown of my hard disk use?

Damarc

Likes # 0

Not sure whether this comes under the Windows 8 forum or on here but you've all been so helpful to me on this forum I thought I'd try here. When i found 'Computer' on Windows 8 and clicked on the hard disk I found the size listed as 49 gb and I've used 29gb of it so far! As the Acer Iconia W510 is 64gb where's the missing 15gb? My old laptop was 80gb and I only used a quarter of that so am amazed that, with the same software loaded, I've used so much.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

There will be two hidden partitions taking up space

One (the largest)is for the advanced tools and factory reset images

the second (quite small) is part of the new UEFI /GPT BIOS system which gives the machine details of the hard drive and bootable systems that may be on it.

Do not interfere with these partitions

If you make images of your system (recommended)to an external source, also make sure it images the whole disk not just C drive then if the hard drive fails then image can be put on to a new hard drive without problems occurring when changing the drive.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

You could also try Space Sniffer. It shows where all your disc space is allocated in some detail. I find it useful to keep an eye on how much space my son clutters up with tons of kids stuff, and prompt him to spring clean periodically.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another useful freebie is TreeSize, it give all the details you need.

Free TreeSize

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

Thank you for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015