We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win XP resizing partition help

Hetti

Likes # 0

After a reinstall of win xp home,I'm getting message the is not enough space on the drive to complete the updates and they have been suspended until I free up some space.

The drives are C drive it has 10.1 GB free total capacity on this one is 25.7 GB D has 26.1 GB free F drive that has 87.0 Gb free

The operating system must have been installed on the wrong one,what can I do to sort this out please without doing another reinstall please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You will need third party disk manager for XP

Paragon here will resize partitions

What have you got on D? if only data not programs then move everything from D to F and then merge C and D

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat/\0/\ I really am lost here, on D there are eight files with long strings of letters and numbers I hovered over one and it showed amd64,i386 and others then on another I hovered and it showed spuninst.exe, spmsg.dll (just to give you some idea)as well as others. Is it an easy process to use Paragon or move files as you suggest? it looks tricky for someone like me, lol

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

spuninst.exe, = service pack uninstall. Folders created during install of the windows SP2 /3. These can moved or deleted.

I have never used Paragon so couldn't say how easy it is to use Other partition programs I have used are reasonably easy you just select the tow partitions and select merge or select merge and then point it to the two partitons to be merged.

However in all cases the two partitions t be merged must be next to each other which was why I asked what was on D:

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks

I cannot even download Paragon as there is not enough space on any drive, if I was to delete all files on D what would be the worst thing that could happen?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You would not be able to uninstall any of the service packs When you download paragon you need to make sure it is saved on the F drive

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat/\0/\

Firstly I must apologize for the info I gave in first post, I gave the free space for Drive F as 87GB, today when I look it is only 50MB, sorry don't know how I made a mistake like that even for me that is really bad,I'm so stupid!The only thing that might explain it is the Windows updates that had been suspended have been successfully done now. Anyway, the Paragon download will not install on any of the drives I get the same message for each, that there is not enough space on them, the space needed is 78MB and although the C drive shows as having 10.1 GB free it will not install there.

I feel out of my depth here, but would like to get it sorted for my grandson to practice with.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are the drives NTFS or FAt332?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED