We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot connect to internet after reinstall of win

Hetti

Likes # 0

I have an old laptop and thought it would be OK for grandson to use until he can use a better one.

It runs XP home so I thought I would reinstall win before handing it over, however after the reinstall the laptop cannot see my Virgin modem.

The model of laptop is Acer Aspire 1640z it has a button on the front to indicate wireless status but that is showing nothing at all it is just a clear white colour.

I did search on here before posting and found a post that had been dealing with a similar problem, I downloaded "win XP -KB91702v3-x86ENU.exe" as was suggested in post but that hasn't worked. This is an old laptop but it was working and connecting to internet fine before I did reinstall. Thought I would ask advice before doing anything else.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This should be the driver for it, http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/OTHER-NETWORK-CARDS/Acer-Aspire-1640Z-WLAN-Driver-4001.shtml

Save the download and copy to flash drive. If it's a zip file then extract and then install.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info rdave13

I have hard wired the laptop to get all necessary updates and it is almost finished doing that so I will see what it situation is then and get the driver from the link you sent.

Once again thanks

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Okay guys I got the laptop almost completely up to date but there are still some updates that cannot be carried out, I get the message "There is not enough disk space so win updates have been suspended",

There are three disks listed on this laptop C drive that shows as 15.5.used, 10.1 free D drive that shows 112 MB USED, 26.1 FREE F drive that shows 3.81 GB used,81 MB FREE

I have a horrible suspicion the operating system has been installed on the wrong disk. This is so depressing lol any help for me?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As I'm not running XP on main PC I'd close this thread and start another one in the help room. You will need to move partitions to expand the C drive. Someone running XP will help out the best way to do it.

Like this post
Hetti

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13

Will there still be anyone out there using it? lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen