We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

free security software on Windows 8 lapto

Damarc

Likes # 0

I ask this question every time I get a new pc because I assume that free software potency will change over time. At the moment I have AVG 2013 anti virus, super antispyware and spyware blaster. All three have worked well with Vista Windows firewall and have kept my old laptop free from malware. Would you recommend these with Windows 8? Or are there now better ones. My local pc shop said that Windows 8 has good security software within,would that be your opinion as well. I don't download much, only updates and the occasional programme but as my new laptop is a hybrid tablet/laptop with touch screen I may be downloading some apps. The only other download is catch up tv. What would you advise please? Thas

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Nothing wrong with what you have for Win 8. I'd also add the free version of Malwarebytes to the list.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

Just to confirm, Windows 8 with its included security software is sufficient if I just add malwarebytes and I should forget the other 3 software?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've ran with Defender and it's OK. When running that I also had Spywareblaster, SAS and Malwarebytes.

Now I have gone back to Avast free antivirus instead of Defender. Just a matter of personal preference. Scanning is much faster with AVG or Avast.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I use W8 with the built-in Defender (this is a combination of the old Defender antimalware and MSE antivirus). I run MBAM and Superantispyware once a week as a backup. Had no problems so far. Others will slag off Defender, but each to their own!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not a total fan of MSE its passable but does require backing up with Spyware Balaster Mawarebytes or SAS etc.

What you have is better although I find AVG a bit bloated nowadays and much prefer Avast

I have installed AVAst, SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, on several W8 laptops for family and friends, touch wood no problems reported back so far.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Either stick with AVG or change to Avast.

For an Anti-malware program I would pay for Malwarebytes pro.It is a one off payment and lasts forever.

There are to many bad programs out there waiting to pounce on you and that is why you need something with full time protection.

As you do not use W/defender go into Services and Disable it and make sure you stop it from running.

I use the pay version of Emisoft Anti Malware and find that it stops everything so far but you have to renew it every year so it would be cheaper with the one off payment for MalwareBytes but I don't think it is as good but better than most.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

can you keep the defender firewall running with Avast or AVG and the SAS or malwarebytes or do you have to turn that off as well

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

You can only have 1 firewall and one anti virus running at same time but multiple malware programs.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Defender is not a Firewall just run the normal Windows Firewall.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Defender is turned off automatically in W8 if you install third party antivirus.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite