We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to Stop receiving Spam/Junk sent from people in my address book

AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi I recently received a number of emails, supposedly from friends/rels in my address book, with just a random link in the message body.

So, I changed all my passwords and they seemed to stop.

Now, I'm getting quite a lot more again. Again, usually from people who are listed in my address book. These emails are being sent to other people, with their names and addresses being displayed in to 'To' part, available for all recipients to see.

The messages in these emails are currently

*"Single Mom Makes $89,844/Yr in Her Spare Time on The Computer Without Selling Anything http://www.corfu-olivetum.com/hwork56.html "*

Does this mean the various address books have been compromised, if emails go out to and from the addresses in the book?

How can I stop these arriving, and how can I be sure my address book, and my friends/relatives address books are clean/secure?

As I said, I've already changed passwords on my email accounts. I might change email addresses but what about the security of mine, and others, address books.

If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

This is very common at the moment but Please don't post the link in future - Forum Members are warned not to follow the link in the original post!!!

If you are receiving these from people in your address book as individuals it is probably their e-mails that have been hacked. If you are receiving mailer-daemon for messages that you have apparently sent to undeliverable e-mail addresses it's your e-mail that has been hacked. Changing passwords is the first step in either case. It is important not to use "dictionary" words or names and numbers - these are cracked very easily. Add in "Wild Card" symbols such as @ for a, zero for o, $ for s even ^,%,* etc.

When people send round robin e-mails or pass on chain mail with recipients clearly visible in the To or CC fields, every one of those addresses becomes a target for hackers and can be harvested for this type of spamming. Hackers will then try to log into those e-mails using webmail and use password cracking software using dictionery word and letter combinations to access that account and then harvest every contact.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Taff, thank you very much for your response.

First off, though, I'm sorry about posting the link. It didn't occur to me that this could be a problem to others. Please, all, accept my apologies.

So, I obviously need to change my passwords, re email accounts, again but will also incorporate more bizarre combinations, as you suggest. Thanks for that advice.

Yes, there is a problem with people sending 'open' email addresses in 'round robins'. I usually put a short message asking for BCC to be used (QuickText on T'Bird with keyboard shortcut - makes this so quick and easy) but often there are a list of email addresses in the body of the email - and including mine in the recent ones, of course. Educating folks isn't always easy ;)

So, I think an email to all my friends/rels/contacts to advise them re using BCC, changing to more secure passwords etc ...

Thanks again for your advice

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Also check your address book to make sure that there is nobody on there that should not be.

No doubt you already have had a look but thought that it would be worth mentioning.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Jock1e - thanks. In fact, I hadn't thought to check through my address book so I appreciate your suggestion.

I've deleted a lot of addresses that I no longer need but also some that I can't remember who they are, so some could well have been suspect.

Just need to set to and change my email account passwords, yet again, but to more secure ones, as suggested by Taff.

Hopefully, that might mean the end of them if I'm generating them. I'll send out emails to my contacts too, to suggest they do the same.

Thanks very much for all this advice

Cheers

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Are you using Yahoo Mail? My wife got exactly the same message on Thursday and it was also sent to the people she had previously sent mail to. (all family) It turns out that it originates in Russia. Buried in Yahoo Mail help area it suggests you change your password. I believe there was a thread about Yahoo and BT names and passwords being hacked on one of PCAdvisor forums sometime ago.

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Hi caccy

I'm with gmail x 3 accounts and BT x 1 account

These 'spam' emails are coming to me 'from' people that I have probably sent emails to in the past few months

Yes, I seem to remember a thread about similar issue but couldn't find it when doing a search - probably not using the appropriate keyword.

Anyway, I'm in the process of changing my passwords - to something more bizarre so, no doubt, will have problems with saved passwords for email for a while ;)

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Not "bizarre", more secure!

By the way, just after I posted my first response this morning I got an e-mail from a "Society Member" exactly as you described originally. His password on the account, (Obviously Yahoo/BT have changed it now) was, lucy2. Second time he's been hacked - previous password was lucy1 - good god! even I know she's four now !!!???

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You all need to check your PC's for a Parasite, it may have been loaded from a Trojan

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Thank Taff and Woodchip

By 'bizarre' I meant something a bit more random, rather than a predictable word. ;) Hopefully, my new passwords will meet some security standards ...

Thank goodness for KeePass, eh?

I did run a scan with Avast and Malwarebytes and my machine was clean. What else might it be worth me scanning with? I appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To make Passwords a strong as possible, they need \to be as long as practical but it does not mean you have to use all different letters etc. just had a load of x's or similar just remember how many you add to your Password

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...