We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

playing movies recorded in the US on a USB stick

tommycat

Likes # 0

While I was in the US I recorded several movies onto USB sticks that work great when I plug the stick into a TV in the US. Now back in the UK when I put the USB stick into my Panasonic TV and access the USB stick via the 'SD Card' button on my remote, the message 'no valid file to play' comes up. What am I doing wrong?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Assume that you recorded from TV. USA uses a different TV format to UK. NTSC in USA and PAL in UK. You may well need to convert the movies.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

tommycat your problems a slight contradiction your saying you are putting a usb memory stick into the tv and selecting sd card on the panasonic,? If the panasonic supports usb then select usb on the remote,sd card is not a usb memory stick

Like this post
tommycat

Likes # 0

Hi mart7. My Panasonic instructions, and the remote, don't differentiate between SD Card and USB. To access the data from whichever you have inserted, you have to switch the remote to 'SD Card' first. It should then read the data on whatever device you have inserted and give you the option to select one of the videos listed. All mine says is no valid file etc.

Also, Woolwell, they weren't recorded from a TV but from a laptop where I think they were downloaded from some form of file sharing.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What format are the movies in, file extension, etc? Do they play in a pc/laptop in UK?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

NTSC USA system is not compatible with our PAL system.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Sorry Woolwell, you have already pointed that out.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

very strange the sd button doubling as usb input ive numerous american tv series that play via usb check your file types as suggested by woolwell mine plays mpeg,h264,or mp4 on the panny it doesnt play xvid which is most popular format

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...