We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Drive space taken by Back-ups ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

Asus M5A78L-M LX : Phenom IIx2 : 4gb ram : PSU: OCZ 500w : nVidia GT440 : HDD: Samsung 1tb + W.D 1tb : IE9 : Win 7 ult (32) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have just replaced my E:\ drive (used purely for ‘back-ups’) with a W.D 1Tb.

My C:\ drive is a Samsung 1Tb unit.

I have just run the first back-up, and surprised when it now shows:

C:\ = 456 free of 931 Gb

E:\ = 269 free of 931 Gb.

How come the back-up (E) seems to be 662 gb when the original (C) is 475 gb ?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I believe that backups are saved in a compressed form.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You also need to Turn Off Restore for Drives that do not have the Operating System on them, the one with OS on it you should be able to set that at a lower Restore Save Factor point

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

OTL1: In that case,,,, shouldn't it have taken up a lot less space.

WC: Can you elucidate please ? This is the first time that I’ve had a dedicated drive for back-ups, so am still getting used to it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m now thinking of getting an external caddy/case for the E: drive, so that its away from the actual machine, just in case it dies.

I have installed USB3 ports - would it be an advantage to get a USB3 caddy/case,,,, or does that depend on the drive used ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes it should have used less space for the image

Look at the drive and see what else is on there taking up space

System restore

Open Control Panel, switch to all items view and click on System. In the next window click on the System Protection link.

The System Properties dialog box opens where you will want to select your system disc and click the Configure button.

Select each drive leave on for your system drive and switch off the other drives.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Cheers FB:

The drive (E:) is new – just fitted. I had a Seagate 1Tb which packed up after a few months. Both SCAN & Seagate Customer service leave a lot to be desired.

There is nothing else on it at all. It is purely used for backing up.

I have got to System Protection. It shows:

C:\ (System) Protection ON

E:\ Protection Off.

Is that right ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes

system restore will not be taking any space on your drive.

Use explore to see what is on E: other than your backup image

I use Acronis to hack up my C: (82G) and F:(102G) drive the resulting file is 170G, compressed but not by much.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi Guys,

I'm not trying to re-start this thread, but need help.

I'm trying to ask a couple of questions in the normal way - in Tech Helproom, but for some reason, when I click 'submit', nothing happens. They don't appear in either the forum,,,, or My Posts.

I did manage to put my two pennyworth in someone else's post in Speakers Corner, so I guess I'm connected/linked etc.

I sent an email to Contact Us yesterday, but no reply yet.

Of course, I can't put a post up asking for help or details. This also occurred on my step-sons account - though on this machine.

I've run a Quick MS. S.Essentials & Malwarebytes. I'll be doing a full scan this evening.

any ideas please ?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check what's using your drive space with WinDirStat. Just use it to analize as it is quite powerful and can even knacker your OS if used incorrectly. Please read the help files. Hopefully you dont have a virus as it could be just a backup program disfunctioning.

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Dave, A Quick scan brought up 7 items:

5 x rogue.evid elim 2 x pup.installbrain.

anything look familiar ?

It only seems to be happening with PCA - other forums are o.k.

Still use WinDirStat ?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

What security software are you running? It looks as you've got malware/ virus. I can find info on pup.installbrain but not the other.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer