We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cannot record from a webcam.

bumpkin
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi everyone, I have been using an old 10yrs webcam that I have modified and fitted in my entrance porch so that I can see a video of who is at the door with a mouse click. Works well,good picture and never had a problem with it in the 10yrs it's been there.

I used to be able to set it to record but it used up so much disk space when we had smaller HDDs that I have not tried it for years.

Now have a spare 160g hdd so thought I would have another go using this as a dedicated drive.

To set it up I have to specify frame rates, destination drive/file, etc and allocate the amount of space for the capture file. I have tried 148g and also a lot less ie 20g, then that is the end of it, the egg timer appears for ages and eventually get the message "Failed to pre-allocate capture file space". I got it to work for few minutes occasionally but maybe only 5 mins before it said the disk was full. Can give more info of course but did not want the OP to be too long. Any ideas anyone.

Bumpkin

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

New error messages,

Error during capture -disk possibly full

Delayed Write Failed

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

160Gb is still very small in relation to Video recording. You need at least 1Tb or more!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Nontek, the disk is not full, hardly anything on it but I still get the error messages.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks again Nontek, useful link for future reference. Maybe I do need a larger disk for long term recording but until I can write anything to my existing disk I cannot evaluate the size required. I was thinking of doing it on a 24hr loop and would have thought that 160g would suffice. This is not something I have much knowledge of which is my reason for asking advice.

My other cameras will record 24hrs a day for over a week before the 250g drive I am using starts approaching half full. Maybe be something to do with frame rate, quality, compression. I really don't know.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Nontek, thanks for trying to help. Now have it working OK, something deep in the settings was checked in the wrong box. Ran it for about 2hrs and it used appx 6gb so should meet my requirements.

Like this post  
Nontek

Likes # 0

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK