We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

brand new desktop pc set up with TV instead of monitor Wont work???

DylPick5

Likes # 0

I have just bought a new desktop pc from trusting website that sells there own custom built pc's which still needs to be set up with windows to be installed, i bought this without a monitor as i thought i would just use my Samsung LCD TV instead, i have tried to connect my desktop to my tv via HDMI which was greeted by "no signal" i also tried another HDMI cable which gave the same result. I then tried it on the down stairs TV which is abit more modern which was a Phillips LCD TV, i tried the desktop with both hdmi cables on that but to no avail, i then tried my mums all in one pc which can also be used as a screen with hdmi ports... same result. i then tried a VGA cable on my original Samsung lcd tv, this time the tv seems to pick something up when i swich through the ports it has "PC" which is right before HDMI1 but the tv then goes into some sort of stand by once i'm on the "PC" Channel. i also tried this vga cable with a little lg tv and that came up no signal. i have also checked all forms of settings on all of the tv's also.

also when i search for help on websites everything i seem to find is how to troubleshoot getting an already set up desktop to work on a tv, and normally this is via doing sed things and settings on the computer which i cant do because i have no screen in which to do this.

so i'm thinking do i need a monitor so that my pc can detect that and vice verser and from there set up my pc install windows and troubleshoot then to be able to use my tv, or do i need another form of cable like vga to hmdi, or is my computer broke or am i a complete naive idiot buying a custom built pc.

any help on this would be amazing, thanks to anyone who reads this.

this is a link to the pc i have, in case this helps somehow

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk/intel-z77-i5-3570k-windows-7-gaming-pc-1tb-8gb-1600mhz-gtx-660-2gb-reaper-pc.html

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

It should work with a normal VGA cable - I use a Samsung TV/PC Monitor with my laptop. On my Samsung TV Remote control there is a Source button which, on pressing cycles through PC/Ext/AV etc, to use as PC Monitor I choose PC, to use as TV I press the TV/DTV button on the Remote handset. I assume you do have a TV aerial connected too.

I hope this goes some way to helping.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You need to set the graphics card to HDmi output - you can't do that because you cannot see the settings

Connect VGA to Pc and TV set TV to PC input and boot the PC

The TV should work with the basic drivers built into BIOS You can then install windows and motherboard drivers and all other drivers.

sounds like you have already found how to set HMDI in windows

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Also of course, make sure you PC is switched on and started in the normal way!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I take it you installed windows and all the updates.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need to use a Monitor to get the Operating System on before it will work as a monitor. The Desktop I am using Now is connected to a Sharp 32ins Led TV, they do not fully work like a monitor. as if you switch to TV while Desktop switched on, you cannot go back to pc as it will not see it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS mine is connected DVI on PC to HDMI TV

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I can switch back and forth between TV and PC and I have a rubbish TV as a third monitor.

Though I must admit I have never used a TV as a monitor before Windows was installed so no idea whether it makes a difference. Though I might try it later as I have a test setup,modo, SSD, RAM and PSU I can use to try it out.

Cannot do this till this afternoon as I am off to get a Prodigy case powder coated and a couple of bits spray painted for a mod I am working on.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As I type my naff Bush TV with VGA connection to my test setup is installing windows 7. So I am thinking that you are missing something on your TV. Make sure that input is set to PC.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I too can switch back and forth between TV and PC simply using the TV Remote.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can't you borrow a monitor just to get it up and running, then address the TV problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite