We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

LAPTOP WILL NOT START UP

MIKEM56

Likes # 0

Computer Powers On... and Then Off When I turn my computer on I hear the fans inside the computer turn on, see the lights on the front of my computer turn on and flash, THEN IT DOES IT AGAIN, and then it will stop. I don’t see anything on the monitor and I hear beeps coming from the computer before it shuts off. The light to the left of the numbers lock does 2 medium flashes then 1 short as does the D.V.D. drive and I think the hard drive is trying to start. This happens twice then laptop shuts down. After 20 to 30 attempts the laptop starts.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Make and Model?

Have you tried with the battery removed and on mains only?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you tried starting in safe mode to see if it runs.

Like this post
MIKEM56

Likes # 0

Good Afternoon and thank you for the posts. I have tried it in safe mode and will try it without the battery in. When the laptop is running I can turn it off and then it will switch back on with no problem. I always turn it off at night and then in the morning the problem reoccurs. Mike

Like this post
MIKEM56

Likes # 0

FRIDAY 06.30 IT IS AN ACER TRAVELMATE 7520. I have now tried starting with battery out, no difference,

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

MIKEM56

Next thing to try is remove the battery and the power cord.Hold down the start button for 50 seconds,Reconnect the power cord only and then see if it starts.

If it starts wait a few minutes then click the battery back on.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Or maybe try sfc /scannow in command prompt the next time that you get it to run and also check in device manager to see if any yellow exclamation marks in there.

And of course make sure there is nothing in the DVD drive when starting.

You could also try chkdsk and tick both boxes but that may do more harm than good if the laptop does not restart.

[ I always turn it off at night and then in the morning the problem reoccurs.]

Do you mean that you switch the computer off at night or you switch the connection to the mains supply off.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its a Old Laptop, it may need taking in bit and given a good clean

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Would be tempted to run a disk check on the hard drive, once its started.

or You could put the drive into a caddy and attch to another machine to run the disk check.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes