We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Opening and reading .dmp files

Seadog
Resolved

Likes # 0

My second pc, running Windows Xp is occasionally randomly re-booting and telling me that the system has recovered from a serious error.

I have run sfc, updated graphics drivers and run memtest which shows the RAM to be ok. The machine is still randomly re-booting.

I have saved the .dmp files and would like to check them with dumpchk.exe to try and find what is causing the re-boots. However, it means running the command from a command prompt, something I am not good at. At all.

Can anyone please help by writing down exactly what I have to put in the command line, with spaces etc. as I am getting nowhere!.........

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

the command line will read

'Type' followed by space then the file name.dmp

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This Blue Scree viewer is easier

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

Sorry, but I misread your query. I presume you have seen this not particularly helpful Microsoft support page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315271

I would think the command line to examine the .dmp file would read

DUMPCHK -e thefilename.dmp i.e with a space either side of the "-e"

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

Thanks for that xania, but I used the link FruitBat gave and sorted the problem (well, so far at least)worked.

Thanks a lot FruitBat.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK