We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

IP Addresses and How to Locate a User

samsmoot

Likes # 0

Tricky to explain what I am looking at, and for, but when I see the Admin/Mod panel of a certain (membership site/forum for which I have access (but do not own), some IP addresses are hidden. All members have got displayed their 'Post' IP addresses, whereas the previous owner and new owner's 'Registration' IPs are not displayed.

I was trying to figure out the new owner's physical location, but the three 'Post' IPs related to them all show a location similar to the old owner, which leads me to think that these are existing IPs are related to the server, as opposed to the new owner's physical location. And that I really need the Registration IP to get anywhere. Can I obtain this info elsewhere? And are the 3 existing IPs for the new owner a false indication of their location?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Try whois or website informer and put in the domain name but this may only lead you to a hosting agency but you may be lucky.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The location of IP addresses can be very inaccurate for instance my IP location is frequently shown as 600 miles out ie Scotland when I'm in the SW of England and currently shows me as being 50 miles away.

What is my IP and IP address geolocation

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

BTW W8's weather app uses your IP location to give you the weather unless you set up an alternative location. Until I sorted it out I was getting Scottish weather.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert