We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Alternative to an alternative PDF reader

Batch

Likes # 0

Years ago I switched from Acrobat Reader to Foxit. At that time (if my memory chip serves me well), the Foxit download was about 3MB. Foxit have just launched V6 and the download has now reached bloatware proportions at 28MB (last V5 was less tham 16MB) and the menus have gone to ribbons.....

So I'm considering switching to another - Sumatra caught my eye (and it's 4.75MB).

Anyone got any comments on Sumatra (or want to suggest similar lightweight alternatives)?

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Jock1e

According to McAfee your download site for PDF Editor seems to be suspect

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin

Yes looks like a new site without any security clearance yet.

I must admit I had reset Firefox earlier and for some reason it never reinstalled WOT for me.

So I have reinstalled it now so back to normal again.

You could download it from the likes of Softpedia and just add the keycode I suppose if antone wanted to use it.

I will stick with What I have Foxit for the time being.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I've used PDF Xchange for a while, both at home and at work, where it has been OK'd by our IT department. It also has some basic editing tools, and unlike Foxit, which I used to use, it doesn't water mark any edits you make.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

PS. Just remembered, the only issue I ever have with PDF Xchange, is occasionally I have prints turn out in negative. It doesn't happen often, and I'm sure there must be some setting somewhere that I'm missing, but on those odd occasions I just print from Adobe or Foxit. Other than that, I find it a very friendly and helpful little program.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Tried SlimPDF. Not a contender. Although it is very small, searching (e.g. for text) is painfully slow (like watching paint dry....).

Sumatra's searching is fast - much faster than Foxit.

On an initial look, the only comment I'd make about Sumatra is that the text rendering is not as sharp as Foxit. Funnily enough Foxit used to suffer from similar issues in earlier (lighter-weight) versions, in fact early Foxit versions were a lot worse than Sumatra now seems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED