We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Alternative to an alternative PDF reader

Batch

Likes # 0

Years ago I switched from Acrobat Reader to Foxit. At that time (if my memory chip serves me well), the Foxit download was about 3MB. Foxit have just launched V6 and the download has now reached bloatware proportions at 28MB (last V5 was less tham 16MB) and the menus have gone to ribbons.....

So I'm considering switching to another - Sumatra caught my eye (and it's 4.75MB).

Anyone got any comments on Sumatra (or want to suggest similar lightweight alternatives)?

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

my foxit is about 43 megs

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Sumatra works well for me and it's very fast.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Hi Batch - funnily enough I was just thinking yesterday how Foxit has changed. I too moved some years ago from Adobe to a program with a much smaller footprint, but since then they seem to have been emulating Adobe and expanded out of all proportion.

I hadn't heard of Sumatra (the program!) but I shall certainly try it out.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Having looked around I've also come across SlimPDF ( http://www.investintech.com/resources/freetools/slimpdfreader/ ) which is an amazing 1.43MB

And Nuance ( http://www.nuance.com/products/pdf-reader/index.htm ) which I haven't managed to download yet (doesn't bode well, but it purports to be fully featured and lightweight)

More info on both of these at:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-lightweight-and-free-pdf-viewers/1556

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Nuance downloaded now - 31MB

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

PDFEditor free till 5th of may not got a clue as to what it does and if it is any good.but at the right price.

Click Here

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

I originally moved from Acrobat=>Foxit and then, last year, from Foxit=>Sumatra (because of Foxit 'bloat'). I defo haven't regretted the move; Sumatra is lightweight (3Mb or 5Mb download) and very fast. It's functionality might be thought by some to be slightly limited but, let's face it, most of us just want a fast, simple pdf browser....and Sumatra fulfils that brief, admirably.

The only down side is the authors 'interesting' choice of a default background colour (eye-searing yellow!)...however, that can easily be changed and I suspect that it's the first thing that a lot of users do :-)

Recommended

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I have gone with Sumatra and it seems good. But I can't see how to change away from that "eye-searing yellow"

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

Sea Urchin

Google is your friend :-) e.g. How to Change Sumatra Background Colour

Just use the appropriate hex code for whatever colour you want.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

Thanks SimpleSimon1

I found your link slightly overwhelming with 4 different answers, and found this to be much easier to follow - successfully changed now

Sumatra color change

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made