We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CRT monitor hot on one side only

tony.cooper

Likes # 0

Can anyone tell me why my CRT monitor gets hot on the top left-hand side but cool on the top right-hand side? Many thanks.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Three questions:

I's this new or have you only just noticed it?

Are there any new aroma's noticeable?

Otherwise, is the monitor running OK?

Like this post
tony.cooper

Likes # 0

I'm sure that I have noticed it before. It doesn't get too hot but is noticably warmer on one side. Otherwise the monitor is working fine.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

power supply transformer ?

Like this post
tony.cooper

Likes # 0

What I wanted to know - is there a part within the monitor that heats up one side more than the other. My machine starts to get warm on the left side virtually straight away but the right side is cool. The temperature remains only warm to hot and so I am not concerned necessarily about the level of heat. I'm not that knowledgable on IT matters but any help gratefully received.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

tony. Exactly as wiz-king told you - the power transformer could well be located under the area you speak of, and would be the only place to get warm.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Within the monitor is a Transformer. This changes the 240 volt AC Supply into a DC Supply of whatever voltage is needed by the components.

Basically it's 2 lots of wire wrapped around a metal core, which gets warm as it does its bit.

Very likely it's placed on one side of the case which is where you will get your uneven warming.

At the back of the Tube there are also a set of very powerful magnets which frequently generate considerable quantities of heat but these are usually central, although some designs of Low Profile CRTs have these set to one side.

You only really need to worry if you start getting a powerful smell from the back.

Do not open the case and fiddle, under any circumstances, even after the Monitor has been unplugged there are some dangerous voltages there.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

The vent holes at the back will encourage thermal activity so the top will always be hotter than the bottom. The heat source is almost certain to be a transformer and if this is offset, it would heat one side more than the other.

How hot is hot? My 22" Samsung is only warm, but heats evenly across the top

'Might be worth vaccing across the grille at the back to shift some dusty build-up which will surely happen as time goes by. Don't disturb the cover but give the ventilation holes a thorough going-over!

Probably nothing to worry about.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Should have noticed that it is a CRT you have!

The same rules apply but Do Not Open The Case, some components will store a lethal voltage for a very long time after switching off

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If the 'heat' as been there for a fairly long time, then just ignore it, because its a usual event. If the 'heat' as only just been noticed, and it appears to be getting hotter with a smell, then action of replacement or repair might be required.

Most people are or have changed from CRT to the more better and far less bulky monitors. Prices and energy saving can be very cost effective on the 'new' type monitors.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Its likely to be either the mains transformer or the EHT transformer but provided its not smelling of burning then it should be OK but as the other guys said its very unwise to open the case as the EHT transformer raises the voltage to around 20,000 volts to supply the final anode of the tube and this voltage will remain even after switching off. Its not to be messed with!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers