We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless woes with new Win 8 PC

mik61ish

Likes # 0

Wireless woes with new Win 8 PC

I have a Lynksys WAG120n router in my garage which is connected to garage PC ethernet and this also feeds Toshiba laptop wireless with no problems in my lounge which is through a hallway then connects in lounge

Then at the end of the line I have a new win 8 desktop which has a TP Link pci wireless adaptor with antenna TL-ANT2405C and the only way to get this to work satisfactorily is to plug in a an old Belkin wireless router to WAG120n, appx 25 metres away In garage 1st connection.

Do I need the TP-Link TL-ANT2406A for more gain, or do I need to bite the bullet and upgrade my main router.

Here ar 2 speedtests =

1.Garage PC ethernet connection 4.38pm 24.04.13
Download Speed: 5883 kps (735.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 563 kps (70.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Packet Loss: 0 %
Test Server: nz-akl

2.Win 8 PC bedroom 24.04.13
Download Speed: 1471 kps (183.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 384 kps (48 KB/sec transfer rate)
Packet Loss: 2 %
Jitter: 451 ms

Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"I have a Lynksys WAG120n router in my garage which is connected to garage PC ethernet and this also feeds Toshiba laptop wireless with no problems in my lounge which is through a hallway then connects in lounge

Then at the end of the line I have a new win 8 desktop which has a TP Link pci wireless adaptor with antenna TL-ANT2405C and the only way to get this to work satisfactorily is to plug in a an old Belkin wireless router to WAG120n, appx 25 metres away In garage 1st connection.

*Do I need the TP-Link TL-ANT2406A for more gain, or do I need to bite the bullet and upgrade my main router. Here ar 2 speedtests =*

*1.Garage PC ethernet connection 4.38pm 24.04.13 Download Speed: 5883 kps (735.4 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 563 kps (70.4 KB/sec transfer rate) Packet Loss: 0 % Test Server: nz-akl*

*2.Win 8 PC bedroom 24.04.13 Download Speed: 1471 kps (183.9 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 384 kps (48 KB/sec transfer rate) Packet Loss: 2 % Jitter: 451 ms"*

As the "problem" PC is a Desktop computer, have you considered using HomePlugs instead of trying to connect wirelessly? You would run an ethernet cable from the main router to a HomePlug in the garage and have a second HomePlug in the room with the Windows 8 PC. The PC would then connect by ethernet cable to this second HomePlug.

Like this post
mik61ish

Likes # 0

Hi Thanks

Do you mean this =

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=414153

TP-Link TL-PA411KIT AV500 Mini Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, 500Mbps, 300m

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Yes, that sort of thing. Several manufacturers produce these adapters with different names, but they all basically perform the same function.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014